Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removing Linkbucks-whatever from Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Removing Linkbucks-whatever from Ubuntu

Hello.

Thank you very much for your effort.

Unfortunately, the thing with search engines I did already - it does not help.

Proxy settings are "No Proxy".

The router is not the problem, because there are several smartphones that use the same router on everyday basis - and they all successfully connect to websites of interest (Google and Codeskulptor, for example).

This question sounds quite stupid, but since we are running out of options... is there any other, "secret" - "only root", way of setting network data? Could there be some little file somewhere telling my browser to go somewhere else?

Regards.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Well, this is not something I have ever recommended. Have you considered reinstalling ? Backup your personal files, I would reformat the root partition and the home folder if you set it up on a different partition. I've kind of run out of ideas..
    There may be some root system files installed. Not sure how to get at them.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Thank you for your time.

How about some malware-virus-recognition tool for ubuntu or something like that? Do these things work?

As far as reinstalling is concerned, sure, but I would refrain from that if possible.

On this machine I have a dual boot of Windows 7 (guilty as charged, but I really do enjoy sitting on the frozen throne occasionally), which I don't use that much. But it just occured me to check that as well. It's pretty much the same thing. Even that strange DNS appeared on Windows. So I went in and pinged the damn address - hell, it didn't just ping back! When I typed the address of it in my Firefox bar, I got a login screen of a router - which is not mine! Somehow somebody is in my network with his router... some kind of wireless interconnect or something...

I'll get back with more info, when I've explored this further.

Regards.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well, I found some Firefox addons that were supposed to remove the linkbucks redirects but I have not tested them.
    Here is a link to the French ubuntu forum, from a user who developed an addon that is supposed to be working :
    http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=628591
    Link : https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefo...nti-linkbucks/

I know that reinstalling is only a last resort option, that I have never (as far as I remember) recommended. But I'm not sure where to look now.
    J'aime les fraises.

| Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by barjaktar View Post
    Thank you for your time.

How about some malware-virus-recognition tool for ubuntu or something like that? Do these things work?

As far as reinstalling is concerned, sure, but I would refrain from that if possible.

On this machine I have a dual boot of Windows 7 (guilty as charged, but I really do enjoy sitting on the frozen throne occasionally), which I don't use that much. But it just occured me to check that as well. It's pretty much the same thing. Even that strange DNS appeared on Windows. So I went in and pinged the damn address - hell, it didn't just ping back! When I typed the address of it in my Firefox bar, I got a login screen of a router - which is not mine! Somehow somebody is in my network with his router... some kind of wireless interconnect or something...

I'll get back with more info, when I've explored this further.

Regards.
    Sorry to bump, but that is something.
    I was kinda stuck on the smartphones that may be do not use the same protocols than computers, or at least the same browser features.

Now, when did you first notice the Linkbucks redirects ? From Ubuntu or from Windows ?
    Unless I am completely off tracks, I do not believe there is anything in common between the two, but your router. I'm not sure I could imagine corruption at the bios or boot loader level, but I may be wrong.

Edit : are you able to connect the computer to internet via a smartphone using 3G (disable wifi on the device) ?
    Edit2 : there are many utilities that are supposed to clean that stuff for windows
    Last edited by bapoumba; April 11th, 2014 at 10:56 PM.
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Your DNS settings are definitely wrong. They should not start with 192. I don't know who your service provider is, so I can't tell you what their "native" DNS servers are.

I use Optimum Online and my DNS servers are 167.206.254.1, 167.206.254.2.

You can try using the official Google DNS servers, they are 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4.

In Ubuntu, click the network icon in the top panel, select your connection and click Edit. on the IPv4 tab, change the DNS servers to your ISP's servers, or try the Google ones. Click save and you should be good to go. You may need to log off and on again to really make it change.

You can also change the DNS settings in your router to match the above. That will make everything on your network use the new DNS settings.

Here is a link to the Google DNS page, where you can learn more about DNS:
    https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/
    Last edited by mgmiller; April 27th, 2014 at 04:45 PM.
    Using Ubuntu since Warty Warthog (4.10)
    32 bit 5.04>5.10>6.06>6.10>7.04>7.10>8.04>8.10>9.04>9.10
    64 bit 9.10 upgraded to 10.04>10.10>11.04>11.10>12.04>14.04

Beans

+1 to the above.

192.168.0.1 is not a DNS address - it is the IP of most D Link and Netgear Routers.
    Last edited by maglin2; April 27th, 2014 at 06:10 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12