Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 14.04 "early bird" migration from XP, apps missing from USC?

Beans

Re: 14.04 "early bird" migration from XP, apps missing from USC?

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    What is wrong with current LTS?
    The release schedule should've been modified to take advantage of the end of Windows XP as many users are switching now. Having an up to date LTS release would be a much better argument than a non-LTS release or a 2 years old LTS release except Ubuntu isn't interested in catching as many Windows XP users as possible - then all is fine as it is.
    Last edited by Sworddragon; April 6th, 2014 at 10:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Sworddragon View Post
    The release schedule should've been modified to take advantage of the end of Windows XP as many users are switching now. Having an up to date LTS release would be a much better argument than a non-LTS release or a 2 years old LTS release except Ubuntu isn't interested in catching as many Windows XP users as possible - then all is fine as it is.
    I think that 'sucking up' to Windows XP users would be a huge mistake. If they are intent on switching it certainly won't be a huge problem for them to wait a few days.
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty
    Dell laptop | Intel Celeron 1.5 Ghz | 2 Gb mem | Trusty
    Regards, Pete

Beans

A few days with high risk as I would not be wondered if "the evil site" is holding back exploits until the last patchday for Windows XP has passed to take immediate advantage of zero-day exploits.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sworddragon View Post
    The argument doesn't make a lot of sense. They can move up the release date but they can't work faster (supposedly they are already working full steam), so if they release it now it is the same as what you get from the daily build. There is nothing to stop you installing it now, whether you call it a release or a beta. It is the same thing.

XP users are using a 10+ years release, a two year old LTS would be spanking new for them (and Win7 is 5 years old). Besides, I think pushing a new and usually buggy release on these users on the first day would be sure fire way to ruin Ubuntu's reputation. Unlike many of you I don't have as much confidence on Ubuntu zeroth day releases based on my experience, I usually wait about one month or two after release to recommend it to others,--and use it as my main system,-- the caution has worked well.

I have installed a couple of 13.10 to replace Windows on friends' machines in the past few weeks (win7 and XP), it is solid and works well. But I also tested 14.04, it was simply not ready (despite claims of beta testers, it may be 'solid' for a beta, but not for a daily work machine) and I doubt that it would magically fix all bugs on 17th , as this usually never happens on release date (and new bugs will be reported as more people will be using/testing it)

I want to provide the best experience for people I set up ubuntu for, so it is 13.10 for now. It won't take me long to reinstall in July when 13.10 reaches eol now that I have tweaked these machines and got to know them well.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; April 7th, 2014 at 12:59 AM.

Beans

• I'm not sure if a Windows XP user who thinks about to switch to Linux wants really to use a pre-release which means more effort.
    • Windows is a strong upstream related system which means the actuality depends how well the user cares about this while repository packages are too often outdated (especially on older releases like 12.04).

It is simple: We can make it as much easy as possible for users to migrate or be still a tinkerer system
    Last edited by Sworddragon; April 7th, 2014 at 01:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Skype distributed the same version of its software, originally written for 8.04, for a few years. I remember running the Skype for 8.04 on 10.x and 11.x desktops. Like many proprietary apps, Skype appears to be built as a "static" binary, meaning it doesn't require compatible libraries be installed to work. If there is a Saucy release for Skype, I'd give that a try.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12