Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DualBooting - Install windows 7 after xubuntu

Beans

Re: DualBooting - Install windows 7 after xubuntu

I agree, under any other circumstance, i'd wipe the drive and start with installing windows....but with this system, I had some help in setting up the integrated wifi card, i.e. the broadcom driver, and I don't know where the driver was pulled from due to someone else had located and installed it for me.

Beans

I have no qualms about trying to run gparted from a live "cd"/usb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Ok then. Boot into a Live USB/CD and use GParted to resize your Ubuntu partition. I would strongly recommend to backup all your important data.

In the space that you free up, create a new Primary partition whatever size you prefer and format it to NTFS.

The ideal scenario for me while dual booting would be:

Partition 1: 40-50 GB, ext4, primary, Xubuntu
    Partition 2: 40-50 GB, NTFS, primary, Windows
    Partition 3: 120-130 GB, NTFS, logical, For data storage and sharing between Xubuntu and Windows
    Partition 4: 4 GB, logical, Linux Swap

If you don't need a shared partition between Xubuntu and Windows, just leave it. I don't know how much data is there in your Xubuntu partition so my table won't be perfect for you although it might give you the basic idea.

Once you install Windows in the newly created partition, you will lose access to Xubuntu. You'll again need the Live USB/CD then. Boot from it and follow "2nd option" from here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Choose "Recommended repair" and you will be done. On power up, you will see the menu for choosing the OS you want to boot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You will also need to move boot flag from sda1 to the new NTFS primary partition, probably sda3. Do not worry about order. Partitions on drives do not have to be in order.
    Windows only installs to primary NTFS partitions with the boot flag. Grub does not use boot flag, but Windows has to have one to know which partition to install into and which to boot from.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12