Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: apt, aptitude, dpkg - commands not found

Beans

apt, aptitude, dpkg - commands not found

Hello world! I'm a virgin to linux/ubuntu, but I grew up on DOS (which isn't helping at this point). I'm interested in using linux for my work, but I'm having problems installing... anything at all. I did manage to get Ubuntu (I'd tell you the version, but lsb-release returns 'command not found') installed on my Chromebook (Acer C7 C710-2847 Intel Dual Core B847) so I'm happy about that. I can bounce around with the cd and ls commands, and I've dowloaded several things I'd like to install.

The problem is every article I find on the topics of installing tell me to use apt or aptitude to install them. But NOTHING out there (that I've found yet) explains how to actually INSTALL APT or INSTALL APTITUDE without ALREADY HAVING one or the other. I did manage to find another command, dpkg, which is suposedly the backbone for both apt and aptitude. But the dpkg command ALSO returns command not found. So I found instructions on how to download and install dpkg, but those instructions assumed the dpkg install file would be a tar file. (I have used the tar command successfully). It is not. The dpkg install file I downloaded is a .deb file - which needs dpkg to install! ...wtf?

How can I install something without already having an install program?

Looking forward to being part of the community, and thank you in advance for your time and assistance!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: apt, aptitude, dpkg - commands not found

| My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Beans

Are you sure you're just not SEEING those commands (like apt, dpkg and so on) because of a PATH mess up? what do you get if you do

Code:
    /bin/ls /usr/bin/{apt*,dpkg*}

echo $PATH
    in a terminal? it's hard to see how you could remove so many things without knowing about it

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by alexander29 View Post
    ... I did manage to get Ubuntu (I'd tell you the version, but lsb-release returns 'command not found') installed on my Chromebook ...
    Could you please explain how you did manage to get Ubuntu installed? That may help people to help you.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

The proper command is
    Code:
    lsb_release
    and it would help to know which version you're using. If you type lsb in a terminal, then hit Tab twice, it'll show you the correct completions for that command.

Both dpkg and apt-get are installed by default in Ubuntu.

Beans

Thank you bapoumba! Excellent reading. Unfortunately the referred software installation pages still assumes apt-get just WORKS and in my case it does not. (I skipped the graphical based installation options - I'm hoping to learn the terminal, not another GUI.)

Steeldriver, when I type in those commands I get:

"/bin/ls: cannot access usr/bin/apt*: No such file or directory
    /bin/ls: cannot access usr/bin/dpkg*: No such file or directory"

For echo $PATH I get:

"/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/opt/bin"

Vasa1, I installed Ubuntu using Crouton via "sudo sh -e ~/Downloads/crouton -t xfce"
    But I'm avoiding the Ubuntu GUI for now...

oldos2er, sorry, typo in the post (not the terminal). "lsb_release" returns "bash: lsb_release: command not found". Also, "lsb" returns command not found.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

apt-get is usually installed by default on Ubuntu because the GUI utilities like Software Updater and Software Centre and synaptic Package Manager are just front-ends for apt-get. But Aptitude is not installed.

lsb_release is just a text file. It is found in the etc directory/folder. This is what my present lsb-release text file reads

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=14.04
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=trusty
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch)"
    Different versions of Ubuntu will have different labels. There must be something very non-standard about your installation. It could be that what you have installed is a stripped down version of Linux done to stop users from installing and removing software. I can imagine such an OS being necessary in certain business environments.

Regards.

Edit: After reading this I do not think that this problem is to do with Ubuntu. I notice that you have downloaded not from an official Ubuntu server but from a Crouton server. I doubt very much that you are getting a standard version of Ubuntu. You must have some highly modified version.

https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton
    Last edited by grahammechanical; April 7th, 2014 at 04:00 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

I would have installed clean from a CD if this Chromebook had a optical drive, but it does not.

I think I do have a stripped down version of linux... I can run a GUI using "sudo startxfce4" so that leads me to believe it is indeed some version of Ubuntu... I'm working on finding that lsb_release file now.
    Last edited by oldos2er; April 7th, 2014 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Normalized font

Beans

Alright. <snip> crouton <snip>. It appears that's the problem, correct? I'm going to look for another way of getting Ubuntu on this machine.
    Last edited by bapoumba; April 7th, 2014 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Please what your language, thanks.

Beans

I'll try ChrUbuntu...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast