Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which of these two laptops should I get?

Beans

Question Which of these two laptops should I get?

I am between buying one of these two laptops.

I am mainly interested in NOT having integrated graphics, everything else is sort of up for debate.

First ($549): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834314383

Specs:
    Proc: Intel Core i5 4200U 1.6GHz
    RAM: 6GB
    HDD: 500GB
    GPU: AMD Radeon R7 M265 2GB

Second ($589): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834314240

Specs:
    Proc: AMD A-Series A10-5757M 2.5GHz
    RAM: 8GB
    HDD: 1TB
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 8750M 2GB

Now I understand the second one has more RAM and more HD space, but I am not sure which processor is better and which GPU is better.

Also, if you guys know of any better deals out there for similarly specc'd laptops, please be my guest and let me know!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Which of these two should I get?

If you're going to use Linux, avoid both of them and get something with an Nvidia GPU.

Apart from AMD's driver performance being woeful, you'll probably only get a few years of use out of the computer before AMD stops making a Linux driver for the GPU. Then you'll be stuck with open-source drivers.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Re: Which of these two should I get?

Well, I most certainly plan on using linux, most probably kubuntu 14.04, but I will also be dualbooting with windows 7.

I wanted the dedicated GPU for windows gaming, but I don't need fancy graphics for the linux side.

Beans

Re: Which of these two laptops should I get?

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntuman001 View Post
    I am between buying one of these two laptops.

I am mainly interested in NOT having integrated graphics, everything else is sort of up for debate.

First ($549): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834314383

Specs:
    Proc: Intel Core i5 4200U 1.6GHz
    RAM: 6GB
    HDD: 500GB
    GPU: AMD Radeon R7 M265 2GB

Second ($589): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834314240

Specs:
    Proc: AMD A-Series A10-5757M 2.5GHz
    RAM: 8GB
    HDD: 1TB
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 8750M 2GB

Now I understand the second one has more RAM and more HD space, but I am not sure which processor is better and which GPU is better.

Also, if you guys know of any better deals out there for similarly specc'd laptops, please be my guest and let me know!
    Out of those two I would pick the second one using the AMD A10 CPU.

The R7 M265 is based on the HD8750M and the specs are virtually the same. The CPU in the first one Core i5 4200U is a ultra low power cpu so it's performance will be hamstrung to benefit battery life.

I would go with the second option if those were the only two options available.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'd go with the intel one...they run much cooler then amd processors and intel is more linux friendly....the intel open source driver is identical to their proprietary one...which is why ubuntu doesn't offer any option when you have intel...since there is no difference at all...

Beans

Just wanted to mention that the open source ATI drivers work very well for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by d-cosner View Post
    Just wanted to mention that the open source ATI drivers work very well for me.
    if you are using a ATI card that card is ancient, amd bought ati years ago. the open source amd gpu drivers are good but i dont think they are that good for the 8000 series, i know the 5000/6000 are and maybe 7000 series

op are you looking for a gaming system or a general use system?
    for general use with linux i do recommend intel graphics on mobile hardware
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hello!

I don't think you should phrase you question as "which one should I get". None of us here -- all anonymous -- should be telling you how to spend your money. So long as the responses are of the "this has been my experience" type, that is fine. But don't take is as gospel.

What I would do if I were you would be to look at as many reviews as you can from places like phoronix.com and make your decision based on objective and well documented data gathered methodically.

Cheers.
    The Community Java Wiki * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

And seeing the terror on the faces of the people, QIII did speak to them, saying "Fear not the Terminal, for it is a road both swift and secure to the Great Mysteries of Linux without passing through the dangers of The Land of Ten Thousand Competing Desktop Environments."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My take on this is simple - buy a Thinkpad, the T series is very popular. They are better made, they have the little red pointer control, and they have tremendous tech support through IBM. Stay away from cheap imitations, which is the bulk of laptop sales including Apple.

Beans

I would recommend Thinkpads as well - and if you can afford it, with a SSD disk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast