Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free cloud back-up replacement for Ubuntu One?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Free cloud back-up replacement for Ubuntu One?

Quote Originally Posted by crockett-umdnj View Post
    hOwever my biggest problem iwth it is that you need to put all of your sycned files and folder into a a folder called Dropox. You cannot pick and choose exiisting folders and Ubuntu One allowd. You also can't pick different folders form different computers. This is a major problem for my particualr use.
    This is what has kept me with U1 for so long. The ability to sync files throughout the directory tree is invaluable. Perhaps there would be a way to achieve this using unison and cloud storage space?
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    ... The ability to sync files throughout the directory tree is invaluable. ...
    I understand that can be done using logical links. See http://www.dropboxwiki.com/tips-and-...-other-folders and search the net for dropbox + symlink for more hits.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by crockett-umdnj View Post
    Solved or not. I will make an additonal reply.
    First with Dropbox the tow 2 GB free limit can be expanded by inviting additonal members. I have reaned more than double the inital space.. It syncs well with many apps both on mobile devies and on your desktop. These are all positives. it is fairly quick too.

My main criticism is that ti is realatively expensive to buy addiotnal space (but for professional service maybe you need to pay for it). hOwever my biggest problem iwth it is that you need to put all of your sycned files and folder into a a folder called Dropox. You cannot pick and choose exiisting folders and Ubuntu One allowd. You also can't pick different folders form different computers. This is a major problem for my particualr use.

I have been using Dropbox for years now and have had no problems. The service is good.
    spell check?

and i would prefer to find a service that is open-source/open-license... all of the suggestions so far are for proprietary software it seems. it should have a "free" option and integrate into Nautilus as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can put symlinks in your Dropbox folder that go to files you want to sync
    Ubuntu 23.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by DogMatix View Post
    I have also started using/experimenting with another service called Hubic. This also sync's files between computers in a similar fashion to Dropbox although it has less features. The good point about this service is it offers a generous 25GB of space with its free account. I have only been using this service for a month or so and have not yet trusted any vital data to it. However, so far I have had no reason to complain. The Linux desktop client is still in beta and has to be started from a CLI, but it has worked OK for me.

Link: Hubic
    I'm just reading the terms for Hubic and I do not like them. Not that I am planning on backing up Disney movies or hate-propaganda, but it sounds like they would look.
    I have no signature!

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Free cloud back-up replacement for Ubuntu One?

Here's another alternative; Younited by F-Secure. The company is known for its security products and is strongly anti-NSA, so your data is most likely safe. You get 5GB for free, and client software exists for several platforms, including Ubuntu. See here: http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Usi...ere/td-p/38981

Unfortunately the client software currently only supports Ubuntu 13.04/13.10, so some trickery is needed to install it on 14.04. There's a dependency issue that needs to be fixed, until F-Secure releases a compatible version. Note that libqt5core5a is apparently not fully compatible with libqt5core5, so some things may not work correctly.

Open a terminal and go to the folder where the downloaded package file is. Enter the following commands (correct the .deb file name in the commands, if yours is newer):
    Code:
    dpkg-deb -x younited_2.2.10_amd64.deb younited_tmp
    dpkg-deb --control younited_2.2.10_amd64.deb younited_tmp/DEBIAN
    sed -i 's/libqt5core5 /libqt5core5a /' younited_tmp/DEBIAN/control
    Now delete the original package ( rm younited_2.2.10_amd64.deb ). Enter the last three commands to rebuild the package and install it along with its dependencies.

Code:
    dpkg -b younited_tmp younited_2.2.10_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i younited_2.2.10_amd64.deb
    sudo apt-get install -f
    You can now delete the younited_tmp folder. Then run the Younited app and log in or create an account. I haven't had much time to get to know the software, but it creates a folder that seems to act pretty much like Ubuntu One.
    Last edited by nouseva-voima; April 24th, 2014 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Added mention of possible incompatibilities

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12