Thread: Kernel panic upon "try Ubuntu without installing"

Beans

Kernel panic upon "try Ubuntu without installing"

I decided to try to set my Windows 7 Samsung laptop up to dual boot to Ubuntu today. I had the boot disk with the image burned already, and the Hash sum checks checked out. Running Ubuntu inside Windows via wubi.exe was not an option when I put in the disk and Windows didn't seem to like my earlier partition attempts, so I figured I would reboot the computer, try Ubuntu without installing it, and see if I could use the Ubuntu partitioning system.

When I selected "try Ubuntu without installing," it gave me a "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block (0,0)" error, listing "Not tainted 3.11.0-15-generic #25~precise 1-1Ubuntu" on "Hardware name: Samsung Electronics Co., LTD. QX311/QX411/QX412/QX511/QX311/QX411/QX412/QX511, BIOS 06HS 05/13/201" (apologies for poor formatting, I am stuck on mobile).

I have seen other threads listing this issue, I have not seen my most pressing issue in any of them - my computer will not restart. The keyboard is completely unresponsive, or at least nothing will type, and holding down the power key does nothing. This being a laptop with an internal battery, I have no way to turn it off without letting the power slowly drain for several hours. Does anyone know what this issue is, and how to get my computer to reboot?

EDIT: Thank god, the battery finally died. However, I still don't know why this happened for the "try without installing" option.
    Last edited by amber5; April 7th, 2014 at 11:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Kernel panic upon "try Ubuntu without installing"

I had this issue when using a wired connection, maybe your issue is similar?