Thread: GeForce GTX 750

Beans

GeForce GTX 750

Hello,

I've been running Ubuntu on my machine for quite some time, with a cheap-ass graphics card. A few days ago I went out and bought ASUS GeForce GTX 750, and I dual-booted my system.

Windows works fine, but now Ubuntu acts up. I fresh-installed suspecting that maybe the old drivers and the new drivers were conflicting, but that does not solve the problem. What happens is:

1. If I try to boot Ubuntu normally, it displays the Ubuntu logo and the loading dots (in a weirdly low resolution). After playing the login "drum" sound, the screen freezes and nothing helps but hard reboot
    2. If I try to boot through safe mode, then leave safe mode and go to normal, Ubuntu boots fine
    3. If I edit the boot order from grub (via e) to remove quiet splash, i get an infinite amount of this error message:

Code:
    [   31.52...] nouveau E[(blank space here) PMC][0000:04:00.0] unknown intr 0x44000000
    This gets displayed a lot, then freezes and the computer keeps running.

What I've tried:
    1. Installing restricted drivers from the software list. Ubuntu said it can't find any
    2. Both suggestions on this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2081649
    3. Installing manually this driver: http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...px/73666/en-us

Surprisingly, the last step worked the second time (though not the first). Right now, the status is that I can boot into Ubuntu through safe mode, abort safe mode and it works fine, I think even with the proper drivers, because the resolution is fine and it handles transparency and fade effects well.

So how do I make it boot normally from Grub without all this back-channeling?? I feel like I should simply purge nouveau (that's what's been causing the error messages in the splash I think) but I really don't want to risk it since I've spent all night trying to get to where I am...

I've logged my lshw and dmesg outputs for your pleasure (too big for forum attachments)

Please help
    Last edited by mentekid; April 3rd, 2014 at 03:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: GeForce GTX 750

I'm jealous of your 750 GTX!!! But I would say that the proprietary drivers are the way to go. I never use Nouveau. Hopefully 14.04 will just work better for you, using kernel 3.13. I can see why you may be worried about purging the Nouveau drivers. I'm assuming that you aren't using a snapshot compatible File System?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kris_Spencer View Post
    I'm jealous of your 750 GTX!!! But I would say that the proprietary drivers are the way to go. I never use Nouveau. Hopefully 14.04 will just work better for you, using kernel 3.13. I can see why you may be worried about purging the Nouveau drivers. I'm assuming that you aren't using a snapshot compatible File System?

I guess it's one of those "if you're using it you know it" situations, so probably no snapshot compatibility.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Sorry, I probably should have just asked if you were using ext4. In which case, it's not snapshot compatible. Using a snapshot, you could give a try to ripping out nouveau worry free. If it broke something really badly, you could roll your system back to the snapshot and pretend that you never did that. I would probably just wait until 14.04 releases and see if working with the 3.13 kernel might help. Sorry that I can't provide anymore info.

Beans

Thanks for your time anyway

I'll probably just wait for the new kernel, yeah.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Running 14.04 on an older Dell Optiplex with a brand new Asus GTX750.

This booted with VESA graphics. You need to install 334.21 NVIDIA drivers to get the card working properly.

I followed these instructions, more or less - except that I couldn't get a terminal session killing lightdm. So I booted in recovery mode, checked the file systems (which also mounts them) and ran the script there.
    C'est ma façon de parler.

Beans

Update: Yesterday I upgraded to 14.04, and the problem just disappeared. My system still can't find any additional drivers from the menu, but everything works properly.

I guess it was just because of the new gfx card? Thanks to everyone