Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Ubuntu One To Be Discontinued

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu One To Be Discontinued

Hi,

This is a message for everyone looking for a replacement to Ubuntu One or any other cloud services.

I have a found FireDrive, a cloud service offering 50 GB of storage for free!

Wow! very user-friendly and play MP3, watch videos edit documents on your web browser. Let's just say that Google Drive and it's 15GB, presented earlier as the best alternative, looks small beside it.

Go to ww.firedrive.com
    Last edited by Tar_Ni; April 11th, 2014 at 09:16 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tar_Ni View Post
    Hi,

This is a message for everyone looking for a replacement to Ubuntu One or any other cloud services.

I have a found FireDrive, a cloud service offering 50 GB of storage for free!

Wow! very user-friendly and play MP3, watch videos edit documents on your web browser. Let's just say that Google Drive and it's 15GB, presented earlier as the best alternative, looks small beside it.

Go to ww.firedrive.com
    Going to give it a fly-by.
    Thanks

Beans

For those who want to try their own cloud solutions, this page has some good resources:

https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/LeavingTheCloud

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Great step-by-step on setting up Copy in Linux (and it works). This solves my file synchronization issue, especially since Copy is cross-platform AND cross-distribution. Plus with the ease of Mover.io, I have easy migration from Ubuntu One to Copy on my Ubuntu system.

http://thinkonbytes.blogspot.com/201...-software.html
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

the safest would probably be to use owncloud as that would leave the data at home.

But the ideal workflow for me is to have data available anywhere without being dependent of a single network and server at home.
    A good alternative to ubuntuone would be dropbox or copy.com.
    Copy.com starts with a free 15Gb storage space and clients for linux, smartphones, apple and windows.
    if you go to https://copy.com/?r=VZlg7v, you and I will both get an additional 5Gb storage.
    Acer Extensa laptop 5220-201G08Mi 080424 [Cpu M560,HD 80Gb,RAM 2Gb,Wlan BCM4312,Bios V1.34,Vista HB ditched )]
    OS=Precise Pangolin 12.05
    Dropbox too small? I recommend free 15Gb from copy.com + 5Gb bonus for both of us

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For just synchronizing files, Copy.com does a pretty good job.

Where I find these services failing is when managing and using these files via the browser. The 2 best for this is, no surprise, Microsoft and Google. Microsoft gets a slight edge in that the files that are stored in OneDrive and syncrhonized don't have to be "converted" for the online applications to open and edit these files. I even have them stored in Open Document Format since my associated Windows machines run LibreOffice (not MS Office). OneDrive can even open and edit things like PHP files with color syntaxing.

Otherwise I prefer Google Docs to Microsoft's Office Online (at this point).. better response time and easy to use features.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

I tried Ubuntu One storage once. It was clunky. I use Dropbox for synchronizing files, though I don't actually need synchronizing anymore. I still have a couple of gigabytes of files there.

I have decided to try Google Drive for some files. It seems to work OK. Yahoo's Flickr now offers 1 terabyte of free image storage with no time limits. I have begun switching to it and it isn't perfect but it is a good place to backup my images. I have less than 100 GB of images. I have about 15 GB of work related videos that I will move there.

Cloud storage is the future for me. I used Carbonite for a year to backup my files. I didn't have any crashes but it was great for when I wiped a drive and reloaded the data. I ended up dropping it and using Carbon Copy Cloner on my Mac Book. It was better because everything on the drive was copied not just the file system data.

If my computers are ever stolen or destroyed in a fire my data will be lost, unless I have it stored at another site. That is why I want to move everything to the cloud so I can access it from anywhere no matter what happens to my personal computers. I am implementing a system whereby I save things to my local drive and upload them to the cloud at the end of each day. This way it simplifies my storage and keeps things secure. This also will simplify managing my data when I travel away from my desktop. I don't do sensitive work and I don't store financial data on machines. The cloud will work for me.

Beans

Does anyone have an open-source alternative to U1/Dropbox/SpiderOak? I'm not interested in hosting my own (owncloud, etc)..

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789