Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu One To Be Discontinued

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Ubuntu One To Be Discontinued

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...ervices-closed lists 39 if anyone is interested ...
    I guess you can't trust any Google app for longevity. It's a good thing my Google Drive is also stored locally. I wonder how long that will last.

But in other news, thanks for posting that article. I noticed from one of the ads that they're officially working on a Goonies sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Copy also makes it easy to get up in space. I have about 225GB of space in mine. A package for installing in Ubuntu would be great but I do like how it is cross-platform AND cross-distro. (I also have 125GB of OneDrive, 15GB of Google Drive and 2.25GB of Dropbox)

If Ubuntu announces an agreement with Google to use Google Drive I will welcome it from a consumer perspective, but it would also cast a shadow over Ubuntu and Canonical's independence that isn't so easily dismissed. Google has killed off Reader and iGoogle and promised a Linux client a couple of years ago. Not offering a client is one thing, and I can deal with that, but that they promised a Linux client and haven't delivered is what gets me upset.

When you think of it, though, only Ubuntu (Unity) users will miss it. Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu and other Linux distros have never really had access to it and the web interface sucked enough even it wasn't an alternative.
    Copy was awesome, but like I said before, I had some major iOS app problems with it that totally killed Copy for me. The app wasn't syncing and fetching updated files that I needed it to, and there is no way to manually force it to sync. It was just opening old versions of the files. If it wasn't for that, I would still be using Copy right now.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Actually I have been a reasonably a happy U1 user in Kubuntu for almost two years:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuone...5/comments/114
    I did not really need integration with Dolphin, and the notifications in Plasma (though DBus?) were good enough for me.
    It just worked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: one.ubuntu.com Shutting Down?

Quote Originally Posted by marco-parillo View Post
    Background information from that link that was not in the email sent to all users:
    However, like any company, we want to focus our efforts on our most important strategic initiatives and ensure we are not spread too thin.
    Our strategic priority for Ubuntu is making the best converged operating system for phones, tablets, desktops and more. In fact, our user experience, developer tools for apps and scopes, and commercial relationships have been constructed specifically to highlight third party content and services (as opposed to our own); this is one of our many differentiators from our competitors. Additionally, the free storage wars aren’t a sustainable place for us to be, particularly with other services now regularly offering 25GB-50GB free storage. If we offer a service, we want it to compete on a global scale, and for Ubuntu One to continue to do that would require more investment than we are willing to make. We choose instead to invest in making the absolute best, open platform and to highlight the best of our partners’ services and content.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

For those people asking for alts, I got 50GB free from Box.
    With Box you need to use something like WebDAV for Linux.
    I don't use cloud much though, except for gmailing myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    Setting up some sort of backup process may very well save your skin some day. Me personally, I put a spare 1 TB hard drive into this old tower I had. It spins up automatically every night at 1:50 AM, then at 2:00 AM my main server rsyncs all of my most important stuff (ownCloud included) to it, then shuts down at 4:00 AM. That way I only run my backup server 2 hours a day instead of 24 hours a day.
    Do you have an issue with "single location of failure"? If there's a fire at your place, and your main server and your backup server get "roasted", isn't that a problem?

By all means have your cloud in your "basement" (as I too do) but you need to be able to backup to "out there", just in case, but at the same time ensure privacy of your files. At the very least you need to backup to removable drives that you store elsewhere.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Ubuntu One Replacement

Now that Ubuntu One is on the way out, what cloud services will function with Ubuntu at little or no cost?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu One Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDavis View Post
    Now that Ubuntu One is on the way out, what cloud services will function with Ubuntu at little or no cost?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post12980208

Beans

I paid and it was well worth it. Now I am undecided on what to do.

I am sorry to see it go. I found very useful to back up my microsocpe pics. I had paid for enhanced service. It was well worth it. I was a bargain.
    Last edited by howefield; October 22nd, 2015 at 04:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm considering setting up an ownCloud server at home and synchronizing everybody's files into a couple of TB external hard drive so at least everybody has 2 copies... one on their system and one in ownCloud. Then maybe set up a separate HD to backup the ownCloud server (everybody's files) nightly or weekly.

Or if I set up a Crashplan acocunt, have the ownCloud server automatically backing up to the cloud. Might save money that way, as it is only backing up "one" computer....
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Looking for an easy way to transfer your files from UbuntuOne to another Cloud Storage Service? Keep an eye on Mover.io!

Background:

I have a Copy.com account and they provided a means to use Mover.io to copy files from other online services into Copy.com (Mover.io actually does many more services than just Copy.com... that is just how I heard of them).

Difference:
    • No download-and-upload the files, it works server-to-server and your computer doesn't even need to be turned on.
    • It can be scheduled to run at specific times, such as in the middle of the night when you are not changing or touching any of the files
    • The schedule can be recurring Monthly, Weekly, Daily or Hourly making it an easy method to backup one service to another (including FTP, sFTP, WebDAV and Amazon S2)
    • You can choose to Archive (Zip) your file before transfer (saves space and bandwidth if you are backing things up)
    • You can choose to only move files changed between scheduled transfers (Incremental)
    • Handles 22 different "connectors" or services/server types that you can copy to or from,

Ubuntu One?

I asked them if they were going to provide an UbuntuOne connector, and a couple days later they implemented a test (Beta) connector for UbuntuOne to my account to try. So I set it to copy my Ubuntu One files (in its entirety) and it looks like it copied them without any problems!

They (Moveri.io) will be making a public announcement soon, but if you want to use it now you can contact them and ask them to attach this connector to your account.

Free?

My Copy.com account provided some use of this, but otherwise it costs money. It looks like you get 1 scheduled and 2GB transfer for free, or 5 transfers and 10GB per month for $15 per month (and of course, higher tiers for more money, including business levels).

Connectors

Their list of connectors includes
    GreenQloud, Yandex Disk, Office 365, Sharepoint, FTP, Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, OneDrive, Copy, Webdav, Amazon S3, Rackspace, Egnyte, MySQL, SugarSync, SmugMug, SFTP, Dreamhost, Media Temple & Openstack.

I hope this helps somebody.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast