Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu One To Be Discontinued

Beans

Re: Ubuntu One To Be Discontinued

I think it is a shame it's closing. I bought some music and used the storage as extra back up. It worked good on android for me, and I kind of trusted them a bit more to watch out for my privacy than some other cloud storage services. It causes me concern, because as Ubuntu seems all about mobile lately, and they will never really compete against Android, what happens when they realize they are not viable in the mobile market either? It's a fair question.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty View Post
    Over at LI,three of us tried this and were not impressed.
    It's a shame about Onecloud,but i also do not trust cloud services any further than i can fling a bull elephant.
    What didn't you like about it?

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    I think i need to do this, also think i should get that rasberry pi now
    have a guide? and a ubuntu client (i don't need windows support)
    edit thought you said you made your own, maybe owncloud is software to make your own or a service, time to goolge
    Have a read here:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/36232...n-ubuntu-12-04

You can host your own stuff with ownCloud.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Anyone got any suggestions for good alternatives to Ubuntu One (that, obviously, integrate well with Ubuntu)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    Roasted, thank you for the heads up.
    I'm skeptical about 'cloud' services as well, particularly the free ones. There are certain unavoidable expenses associated with such offerings. The bills have to be paid somehow. Then there are the privacy and security concerns.
    That's why I run my own "cloud" in my basement.

All of my storage resides on my VMWare server in the basement, using a FreeNAS install and a 12TB ZFS RaidZ2 array. (the server also has an Ubuntu Server install on it, for general server tasks, and has pfSense on it for my routing.)

My local clients have only OS and programs on small SSD's and small working documents folders synced to my storage server using an rsync cronjob. Using NO-IP dynamic DNS, I can also sync to my "cloud" while on the go For some things that require it, I have also set up a VPN, so I can access my full local network from anywhere I have a network connection. (mobile wifi hotspots from my phone are awesome for this)

No need for Ubuntu One or any other cloud service And this way I control my own data
    I only use LTS releases, and mostly for servers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

wish i had a basement

sad to see this. i had 33.4 mb stored there. it was always fast and reliable to me.

spideroak also works but it's so very slow.

too bad. i guess it's time to get my own server or something.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I think Canonical is better off this way. There are companies out there specialized in cloud based syncing and sharing. With a big head start. Trying to compete with them requires considerable investments, time and energy.

I personally use owncloud on my linode vps and could not be happier. I ditched Dropbox after I started using owncloud. And it keeps getting better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thank you there's some files I need so I guess I'll use Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive (mainly cause OneDrive is on my dell tablet and its nice when programming in Windows to have it sync so fast).
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    As a Kubuntu user any integration with my OS was simply not there.

I always saw it as a free service, nothing more, nothing less, as my remote storage requirements were always very basic. I wonder how many users actually paid for an enhanced service that would have helped to make the service profitable?

Time to move on.........
    Exactly. Not that I think KDE integration would've saved Ubuntu One but for me it was a reason to use Dropbox for my cross platform file syncing.

Beans

I thought they are making money on the cloud and servers, just not on the desktop.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Threads merged. Kinda makes me glad I use ownCloud if I want to share stuff or have it easily accessible.
    To be honest, and rather blunt, the only type of cloud storage that makes any degree of logical sense is cloud storage you have true control of. With ownCloud, this is possible. With, well, just about every other service out there, it's not.

Dropbox has had its outages in the past.
    Dropbox scans your files for "pirated" content for deletion. (this capability raises concern in regard to what they consider in violation)
    Dropbox's disclaimer specifically notates that there is zero guarantee with your data; even for their paid service. If it magically goes poof, too bad.
    WD Cloud has been down for 6 days and counting at the time of this post.
    iCloud had a few small outages throughout the 2nd half of last year.
    SkyDrive (OneDrive) was down for a while this past August. Likewise, Microsoft's recent email snooping doesn't fare well on a trust level by any stretch.

I know home servers aren't a sure-fire 100% uptime guarantee, but the last time my server was down was when my UPS died before I could re-wire the electrical outlets in time during my basement renovation a few months ago. I am continually surprised at how little I have to do to ensure it runs. As long as I pay my electric bill, it seems to keep on trucking.

All of this, of course, is just my 2c.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast