Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange Thunar notification on clicking unmount?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Strange Thunar notification on clicking unmount?

Background: I have Thunar 1.6.3 but my system is a bit mixed up ... Openbox session running on parts of Lubuntu and Xubuntu. I'm mentioning this because it's possible that what I'm seeing is an artifact of my system and not the "norm".

I have a 500GB USB mounted.
    When I right-click on the device in Thunar's side-panel and choose Unmount, I see a very, very brief flash of what appears to be notification pop-up.
    To catch it, I mounted the device again and followed the procedure described here: http://askubuntu.com/a/352200 . So I opened a terminal window and pasted the following code:
    Code:
    dbus-monitor "interface='org.freedesktop.Notifications'"    |     \
    grep --line-buffered  "member=Notify\|string"
    Then, on unmounting, the screen showed this:

Code:
    [04:14 PM] ~ $ dbus-monitor "interface='org.freedesktop.Notifications'"    |     \
    > grep --line-buffered  "member=Notify\|string"
       string ":1.37"
    method call sender=:1.26 -> dest=:1.35 serial=67 path=/org/freedesktop/Notifications; interface=org.freedesktop.Notifications; member=Notify
       string "Thunar"
       string "drive-harddisk-usb"
       string "Writing data to device"
       string "There is data that needs to be written to the device "TOSHIBA EXT" before it can be removed. Please do not remove the media or disconnect the drive"
             string "urgency"
    ^C
    [04:43 PM] ~ $
    Can a Thunar user please comment?
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Strange Thunar notification on clicking unmount?

It could be related to having a open directory on the media. fuser or lsof should tell you which process has a file open on the media

You could try to umount from a terminal to check if it is a GUI related issue.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    It could be related to having a open directory on the media. fuser or lsof should tell you which process has a file open on the media

You could try to umount from a terminal to check if it is a GUI related issue.
    I was pretty sure I closed everything related to the media. Anyway, I checked with lsof | grep TOSHIBA to confirm and then did the unmount.

I can unmount from the terminal but my questions are specific to unmounting via Thunar:
    • I've never seen notification bubbles disappear so quickly. What makes that particular notification disappear so fast?
    • What do the contents mean?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm wondering if that pop-up notification isn't the thunar dialog notification informing you that it is safe to remove the media or disconnect the drive from the computer.
    However this notification will only be displayed if support for libnotify is enabled, and you have installed a notification daemon. A notification daemon for Xfce is available from the Xfce Goodies Project.

Beans
    Distro

I'm wondering if that pop-up notification isn't the thunar dialog notification informing you that it is safe to remove the media or disconnect the drive from the computer.
    Well, the text doesn't seem to convey that impression.
    However this notification will only be displayed if support for libnotify is enabled, and you have installed a notification daemon. A notification daemon for Xfce is available from the Xfce Goodies Project.
    Lubuntu uses xfce's notification system and I get other notifications as usual. So that doesn't explain why this particular notification disappears so fast that it's not readable. It goes off really quickly.

Beans

Can a Thunar user please comment?
    I see this very brief notification every time I remove a usb flash drive in Xubuntu 12.04. It was previously mentioned in this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2146111

See My post #4 in that thread.

It would be good if the developers adjusted the display time. It does not obey the "Disappear after" time set for notifications.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    I see this very brief notification every time I remove a usb flash drive in Xubuntu 12.04. It was previously mentioned in this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2146111

See My post #4 in that thread.

It would be good if the developers adjusted the display time. It does not obey the "Disappear after" time set for notifications.
    The content of the notification could be improved as well:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You could probably ping Nick Schermer (nick@xfce.org or at #xfce-dev channel) on that, since is the upstream maintainer.
    Last edited by slickymaster; April 1st, 2014 at 06:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro

You could probably ping Nick Schermer (nick@xfce.org or at #xfce-dev channel) on that, since is the upstream maintainer.
    I thought I'd post about this at the Xfce forums but I can't find a "start a new thread" button there! My login and password are fine though. Anyway, I guess all this is a bit late for 14.04.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I thought I'd post about this at the Xfce forums but I can't find a "start a new thread" button there! My login and password are fine though. Anyway, I guess all this is a bit late for 14.04.
    Yeah, you're right about being late for 14.04, but in six months from now we'll be welcoming a new release.

The "start a new thread" button in the Xfce forums is called 'Post new topic', and it's located in the bottom right of the window, just scroll all the way down. I'm attaching a screenshot of it.
    xfce_forum.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast