Thread: Screen Freeze on old lock screen after upgrade Ubuntu 14.04

Beans

Screen Freeze on old lock screen after upgrade Ubuntu 14.04

Hi Forum People

So, I recently did an upgrade of from Ubuntu 13.10 to Ubuntu 14.04.
    I am using Unity, cause I like the layout.
    Everything appears to have gone ok, except for the new lock screen thing.

If I lock the screen myself with Ctrl+Alt+L it works fine.
    It goes to the new lock screen and it looks pretty and all the blah and I can get back in.

If I leave the computer idle and the system times itself out and locks the screen, the screen lock goes to the *old* lock screen (where the login is in the middle of the screen).
    From this, I'm stuck. I can't do anything, the screen is frozen, and can't none of the keyboard or mouse things work.
    The only thing I appear to be able to do is reboot, with R_Alt+Prt_Scr+REISUB.

Where can I even start to look for the problem?

Any help would be appreciated, I can't leave my computer alone by herself ...

Regards
    Brian

Beans

Re: Screen Freeze on old lock screen after upgrade Ubuntu 14.04

Same here. Also upgrade from 13.10.

My machine uses AMD ATI with fglrx.

BTW, I can recover from this freeze by ctrl+alt+f1, log in, sudo /etc/init.d/lightdm restart

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved to Ubuntu+1
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

Anyone?
    Can anyone direct me to where the "lock screen" settings are for when I press ctrl+alt+L and where the mechanism to lock the screen without my intervention is?

Regards

Beans

I am having the same problem...totally anoying. I am recovering from this freeze by ctrl+alt+f1, log in, "sudo /etc/init.d/lightdm restart" but this is not a real solution....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved to General Help seeing as Trusty has been released.

Beans

I'm in a similar situation here. Except all was good for me, I installed sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop, then removed it, but I still have an ugly lockscreen unless I Ctrl+Alt+L, I'd love to be able to install the nice new 14.04 lockscreen and have it working like new.

Beans

I am having the same problem. Recently installed Ubuntu 14.04 on a new Dell laptop. I also installed, then removed, lubuntu (trying to enhance performance). I don't think the problem started occurring until after that. Has anyone found a solution, aside from switching to tty1 and doing sudo service lightdm restart (which seems to work, though I think it resets the session)?

I get this problem. If the computer times out and turns the screen off, I occasionally get a frozen screen when I move the mouse to come back to my session.
    It's the same login screen as always (not the center log in screen). The user name is in a transparent window, but there is no box to type in the password. There is no icons at the top for help or onscreen keyboard. Clicking anywhere on the screen does nothing, as well as letting the computer sit and think about what it's done.
    I've just been holding the power button to force the computer off and restarting it, but that can't be good.

Beans

I am hit by this issue as well (14.04 release), and hope that someone will pick it up via https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1301125