Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running X on new laptop

Beans

Re: Running X on new laptop

Well what I'm most afraid of is that I created the install disc on an untrusted computer, and perhaps there was a virus or something on that computer which got into the install package and screwed up my installation. Is this possible?

Beans

I don't think so. I think you made a CD/DVD. It was 'cloned' or imaged directly, so I don't see where it would have been infected by the host system. And it is linux, and it is very unlikely that linux malware is lurking in a Windows computer to infect a linux install disk. Maybe it would be possible, but I would say very very unlikely.
    Last edited by sudodus; April 2nd, 2014 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Maybe it would be possible, but I would say very very unlikely

Beans

Alright. Just for fun I plugged the USB (not CD; apparently the 12.04 installer is over 700MB and couldn't be burned to a 700MB CD so I used a USB key instead) into my computer again just to see if it could see a 12.04 install, and it could. Might have been a compatibility problem between 12.04 and 13.10. Just so you know, as a 14.04 developer, if you could make the installer under 700MB so it could be burned to CD, that would be super appreciated =D

Beans

Incidentally, I've marked this thread as solved, but I'm having a couple other problems with my system if you wouldn't mind taking a look. The threads are located here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2214524
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2214391

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai87 View Post
    Alright. Just for fun I plugged the USB (not CD; apparently the 12.04 installer is over 700MB and couldn't be burned to a 700MB CD so I used a USB key instead) into my computer again just to see if it could see a 12.04 install, and it could. Might have been a compatibility problem between 12.04 and 13.10. Just so you know, as a 14.04 developer, if you could make the installer under 700MB so it could be burned to CD, that would be super appreciated =D
    I'm not an Ubuntu 14.04 developer, only a tester, and I cannot change the size of the iso files. Developers seldom read the Ubuntu Forums. You can find them at IRC and they might read and write comments about bug reports at Launchpad.

But there are alternatives:

1. The obvious alternative is to make a USB or DVD install drive of the 'oversized' iso file.

2. There are some official Ubuntu flavour iso files, that fit in CD in all versions including Trusty Tahr (to become 14.04 LTS).

- The Lubuntu desktop iso and alternate iso

- The Ubuntu mini iso (mini.iso) - this one can be the starter for all flavours and can be installed into most computers except those with UEFI systems

3. There is the experimental 9w installer (a community re-spin) with versions that fit in a CD. This is made for really small systems.
    Last edited by sudodus; April 2nd, 2014 at 09:19 AM. Reason: typing errors

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12