Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Workspaces and icons in 14.04?

Beans

Re: Workspaces and icons in 14.04?

Frank, interesting comment.

What would be the nature of the trouble?
    I'm old, but still tryin'. Your patience appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I started using MATE with Mint, found Mint annoying (the system, not MATE), and, now, I install Kubuntu and install MATE over it; KDE for the apps, and MATE for the desktop. The only bugs I've found with MATE are the crash with Compiz, and the disappearing panels (which can be fixed when it happens by locating Syetem/Preferences/Appearance and changing the theme).

Aside from that, MATE (running 1.8 on my 14.04) works very well for me, and I recommend it to anyone who misses the old GNOME 2.3.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    I started using MATE with Mint, found Mint annoying (the system, not MATE), and, now, I install Kubuntu and install MATE over it; KDE for the apps, and MATE for the desktop. The only bugs I've found with MATE are the crash with Compiz, and the disappearing panels (which can be fixed when it happens by locating Syetem/Preferences/Appearance and changing the theme).

Aside from that, MATE (running 1.8 on my 14.04) works very well for me, and I recommend it to anyone who misses the old GNOME 2.3.
    Does Mozo (the menu editor) work for you on 1.8? Wouldn't for me when I installed 1.8 on 14.04 from the "archive" at Mate's repo. The "user and group" gizmo didn't work, either. (There's a patch to Mozo on Github that, I suspect, addresses that problem, but the achive doesn't appear to have been updated. I'm guessing we won't see 1.8 for Ubuntu in the official Mate repo until after 14.04 is released.)

Compiz and Mate 1.6 often don't get along well (although Fedora's 1.6 spin uses Compiz, so there's a way to do make it happy). I don't know about 1.8.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post

This is just horrendous. KDE+ MATE + Compiz??!! This has the be the most unnecessarily bloated and mixed up installation ever. First KDE has panel and what not and it can be customized to look like gnome 2 so you don't need MATE at all since you are using KDE applications anyway. Secondly kde has its own compositor (kwin) which has most of Compiz's functions and eye candies so you don't need Compiz.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; April 6th, 2014 at 10:07 PM.

Beans

I am was also a fan of 10.04. To get close with 14.04 I installed gnome-session-flashback and gnome-tweak-tool. I signed on with flashback/metacity, and everything was almost OK. I can get multiple workspaces by right clicking on the workspace switcher, and add to the top menu bar with alt-right-click (or just ctrl+drag-and-drop from a menu). The only problem is that I seem to have set autoraise and can't get it turned off again. It's a small price to pay.

Beans

Nice, thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123