Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Install to formatted laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Install to formatted laptop

A friend of mine says he's going to trash his laptop. It has Windows XP which is going to be extinct and it's all bogged down with malware most likely because he knows nothing about OS maintenance. I told him to just hold up on that and I would format his HD and install Ubuntu on it . He only needs it for email and a few maintenance records he keeps on his truck. I have been reading posts here for an hour and "think" I know how to do it. Just wanted to ask and check for any dos and don'ts that someone may have . I have been using Ubuntu for over a year now and LOVE it. Any advice and tips would be much appreciated.

Beans

Re: Install to formatted laptop

Find out which laptop it is and do some quick searches on the Net for common problems to do with installing Linux on it ..........

Just so you have a rough idea of what if any problems you may run into ......... but if there are few problems to do with that laptop

Search on the laptop name and solved too .......... its sometimes as well to know what sort of information is already out there and

whether or not it will fail ....... graphics cards and network cards ....... are things to check out too ...........

But run a livecd on it and see if it works ok from that first ....... that should give you a good indication of the possibility of it running well or not.

( there are many other linux systems too - so if one does not work - try a livecd for one that has been reported to work ok on that laptop )

Do some recon ........ get some information about it ....... do some research on problems ...... then if all is ok try the livecd after all

it will run even if there is nothing on the hard drive at all ........ * ( usually press something like (f8) the function button at start up [depending on which laptop it is - again a
    google search should soon let you know how to set it to boot from cd ) or go into the setup screen at boot and change it to boot from cd and then usb and then ide0 ................. depending on how you want to boot ubuntu ....... the install to the main drive should be easy if you intend to use the full hard drive ......... but ensure that
    the laptop is not one that is known to have any major issues with Linux .....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

dependign on the system specs you might want to explore lighter alternatives such as Lubutnu or Xubuntu

otherwise doing a reformat and install is the easiest thing to do. the first option in installer will do most things automaticly you just need to confirm a few things (language,timezone, keyboard etc.) and select user name and password.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro

OK.. Thanks. I'll be picking up his laptop tomorrow and do some research.

Beans
    Distro

I'm just now finding time to work on this. It is a Dell Inspiron 1505E. Research indicates I shouldn't have any problem installing Linux except maybe with the graphics card. My problem at the moment is trying to format. I'm going to try DBAN and hopefully if that works then will install Linux from a flashdrive.

Beans
    Hidden!

Who is going to use the computer after installing Ubuntu? If it is the same guy (your friend), you need not DBAN it. The Ubuntu installer will make new partitions (one for the root file system, and one for swap). Just let the installer use the whole internal hard disk drive

Beans
    Hidden!

If the specs of this link are correct

http://www.notebookreview.com/notebo...ew-pics-specs/

and there is only 512 MB RAM, I'd recommend Lubuntu. If 1GB RAM you can try Xubuntu. Standard Ubuntu will work but slowly with those hardware specs.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I format normally with ease with Gparted. So like Sudodus said, you should be able to just use the Ubuntu installer. I would recommend you do the restricted extra download when you do install it, and make sure it can play dvds, he might use his computer for really nothing. But quickly you find out they might use it for a few more things, normally watching dvds, and boy, they get upset if they can not play dvd out of the box.
    Proverbs 14:15

The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Beans
    Distro

That would be perfectly fine. I want to use the whole disk. I still have Ubuntu 12.10 on flashdrive from when I installed it on my system so, I stuck it in his laptop and selected the "Try First" option. The desktop loaded up but soon froze up . That's why I thought I was going to have to wipe out the HD before I could do ANYTHING. I could try the Install option from the flashdrive if that will work. Also, I'm fine with downloading a lighter version like Lubuntu to flashdrive and load it to the laptop and see what happens.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Your best option is to go with the Lubuntu on the flashdrive route and seeing what happens. I have 1 GB of Ram, and while it worked better than Windows on here, (Ran much faster), I found normal Ubuntu time from time to freeze. I have found Xubuntu to work fine, but after extented use, sometimes programs do slow down. (Especially if use on facebook is done) But nothing to much. Really, I find that to be more a problem with how facebook runs. So try Lubuntu on a flash drive, do somethings, see if you can get it to freeze, if not, wonderful! If it seems to be causing problems, you could like said before, try other linux.
    Proverbs 14:15

The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast