Thread: Ubuntu To Make Amazon Product Results ‘Opt-In’ for future releases.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu To Make Amazon Product Results ‘Opt-In’ for future releases.

This it seems will apply to the new upcoming Unity 8.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/03/u...MG!+Ubuntu!%29

I think this is a better to have this sort of stuff as opt in by default.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Ubuntu To Make Amazon Product Results ‘Opt-In’ for future releases.

That's good news. I can't imagine too many people choosing this option. It looks like it will still be able to turn up Amazon searches, even if you don't opt-in for this.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Seems like a sensible thing to me, given the often histrionic reaction. I've always just turned it off. Sometimes I wonder how many people never get around to seeing what's in System Settings.

I have to say I make little use of online scopes (and *no* use of HUD). Two reasons: 1. They search for things I don't search for. 2. I find the presentation -- the design -- busy and unpleasant. The "privacy" aspect is far down my list of things to worry about. There is a difference between being specifically targeted versus having the data I generate online aggregated in relatively anonymized fashion in a pool with untold amounts of similar data. The latter seems unavoidable given the structure of the net and the expectation that its use remain cost-free. This applies to Linux distros, as well. The costs of producing a product that's given away must be recovered some way, or the product will vanish.
    Last edited by buzzingrobot; March 31st, 2014 at 02:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Seems like a sensible thing to me, given the often histrionic reaction. I've always just turned it off. Sometimes I wonder how many people never get around to seeing what's in System Settings.

I have to say I make little use of online scopes (and *no* use of HUD). Two reasons: 1. They search for things I don't search for. 2. I find the presentation -- the design -- busy and unpleasant. The "privacy" aspect is far down my list of things to worry about. There is a difference between being specifically targeted versus having the data I generate online aggregated in relatively anonymized fashion in a pool with untold amounts of similar data. The latter seems unavoidable given the structure of the net and the expectation that its use remain cost-free. This applies to Linux distros, as well. The costs of producing a product that's given away must be recovered some way, or the product will vanish.
    They keep adding more and more options to the installation process. Eventually, you'll have to just set all of the system settings during installation so you can have a completely custom install.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

I definitely think this is a good thing. It seems that (besides Mir) one of the largest Internet criticisms of Ubuntu and Canonical has been the default "opt-out" setting for online search and Amazon integration. I personally never had any use for it, I didn't use scopes, and I turned off all manner of "online" searches including "recommended apps". Having said that, I'm sure there are plenty of people that DO use those services, and think the integration is the greatest thing since pockets; I don't think those people would suffer any outrage if the option were made "opt-in" by default. That way, the people who want to use the service can use it, and the people who are concerned about privacy just have to answer "no" at installation time.