Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: AV? or NO AV? that is the question.

Beans

Re: AV? or NO AV? that is the question.

Interesting. I wonder how much the paid version is. The fact that they describe it as " linux server product line" means it will be expensive. Whenever they tack the word "server" on a product it becomes ten times more costly than it is worth.
    Registered Linux User: 450747 Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Beans

Realistically speaking, I use Ubuntu 100% on all of my computers, I gave up Microsoft everything 2 years ago. The only windows software I keep are games I purchased that I run with Wine. I do use both Chrome & Firefox, and run ClamAV on the system, and have Ad Blockers & Popup Blockers on both browsers. My Root Password doesn't match anything else.

Te only thing Clam ever finds are Pics generated by my Cannon Power Shot. I can right click & save a pic and it never comes up in Clam, but let me take a set of pics around town and Clam says they are threats. I kind of find it amusing.

I am however still a bit paranoid. How likely is it that I need some sort of Malware tool, and is there any? or am I still just in a Windows state of mind and don't realize it?

Beans

Howdy,

I've been using UNIX systems since 1984 and Linux since 1998. The probability of you getting malware on your desktop machine is almost exactly zero, unless you install VNC, in which case the probability of getting hacked is almost exactly 1.

It is different with servers, since people target servers on fast networks in order to send spam, but even so, server compromises are few and far between.
    Last edited by HermanAB; April 10th, 2014 at 05:12 AM.

Beans

I would like to know from the Windows users - how many different forms of protection do they have on their own systems

Remembering back when I used to use it and going through most of my old software - a lot was to do with security ..........

and yet I remember having a continuous battle trying to keep on top of it all ...........

The difference on Linux .......... is ............ ?

A ...... We do not constantly scan for them
    B ...... We do not see anything popping up that really worries us
    C ...... Linux is more secure

or something else ..........

I still feel a little better that I did a check the other day - but already it feels like a deja vu scenario

Maybe Linux is hitting the big time now ......... especially since MS has done so many odd changes lately ..........

Rightly or Wrongly ........ I still feel better on Linux - just because I can see the logs - I can see what I am installing .........

and when I pop on it after a while - like a day ....... that 22 new installs get put onto my computer and all I see is a circular gif

going around and around .......... while saying welcome ......... then the next thing I see is shutting down and rebooting

yet its still not over ......... now installing please wait and do not shut down your computer ..........

Odd ........ but its the only system that gets me swearing and into a bad mood before I even start to do any 3d or anything.

Was paranoid with XP and Windows 7 ......... then something happened ......

I stopped going back into them .......... on the net ...... what go me though even disconnected windows 7 somehow said it was

doing a update when I plugged a usb drive into it ........... it recorded 147 registry entries into itself ..... which was just about the

number of music files on that USB drive ......... gets me wondering what on earth it is doing and what is it recording.

Now back to making sure Linux is as secure as possible ..........

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Howdy,

I've been using UNIX systems since 1984 and Linux since 1998. The probability of you getting malware on your desktop machine is almost exactly zero, unless you install VLC, in which case the probability of getting hacked is almost exactly 1.

It is different with servers, since people target servers on fast networks in order to send spam, but even so, server compromises are few and far between.
    What do you mean by a probability of 1. Do you mean 1% or 100%
    You have me a little worried as I have VLC installed and I use it frequently. Can you elaborate on why it is a malware vector?
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFreak View Post
    What do you mean by a probability of 1. Do you mean 1% or 100%
    You have me a little worried as I have VLC installed and I use it frequently. Can you elaborate on why it is a malware vector?
    The way I read it, by "1", HermanAB means "100%", i.e. it's almost certain that someone will get up to mischief.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    I would like to know from the Windows users - how many different forms of protection do they have on their own systems

Remembering back when I used to use it and going through most of my old software - a lot was to do with security ..........

and yet I remember having a continuous battle trying to keep on top of it all ...........
    I used to spend a lot of money keeping my windows computers secure. Trading up from year to year, from Norton AV to Symantec Corporate Version to Bit Defender then NOD32, in addition to programs like "MalwareBytes" and popup blockers for browsers.

Now I am on Ubuntu for a few years, but I still have an AV and Browser popup blockers, and the only real difference (the most important one) is the Lack of Virus or other Infection notifications popping up. I'm still not the kind to just sit back, sigh and figure I'll never have troubles. But My Linux Experience has been a lot less stressful than WIndows. I can look back and wonder why I kept using Windows for so long even knowing Linux was not only available but "Free" *shrug* I finally opened my eyes.

But once in a while, someone says something or I read something and I get that twinge and begin to wonder if I am 'REALLY' Doing everything I need to make sure I protect myself & my Files.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    The way I read it, by "1", HermanAB means "100%", i.e. it's almost certain that someone will get up to mischief.
    I am trying to get my head around why VLC is a security issue. It is in the Ubuntu Software Center which I thought had safe programs for install. Furhtemore it is highly recommended and often cited as one of the first programs when should install for video. I need to know if this just FUD or if there is a reason for the original statement HermanAB made

EDIT: Googling VLC Security I see there were some issues in 2012 with ver 2.03 but updating to a newer version fixes this. I notice I am at ver 2.08. is this safe ?
    Last edited by SuperFreak; April 9th, 2014 at 11:36 PM.
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFreak View Post
    I am trying to get my head around why VLC is a security issue. It is in the Ubuntu Software Center which I thought had safe programs for install. Furhtemore it is highly recommended and often cited as one of the first programs when should install for video. I need to know if this just FUD or if there is a reason for the original statement HermanAB made

EDIT: Googling VLC Security I see there were some issues in 2012 with ver 2.03 but updating to a newer version fixes this. I notice I am at ver 2.08. is this safe ?
    Maybe there could be issues using VLC to steam media frmo the internet?

Beans
    Distro

I guess that is a good guess, but speculative. Why would Flash be any safer?. Personally I use VLC for local media on my PC mainly
    Last edited by SuperFreak; April 10th, 2014 at 01:37 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast