Thread: No indication of "wait till application starts" (no hourglass or rolling circle)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

No indication of "wait till application starts" (no hourglass or rolling circle)

Now running "current" lubuntu daily .iso, when I clicked at "Web Browser" launch icon to start browsing there is NO indication that the application execution began and the user must wait (ex. hourglass, rolling circle, change in color of the icon). This is a little bit confusing ...

The same happens if you are using a time consuming command as "Search for a file" (Menu > Accessories > File Manager > Tools > Find Files).
    The only indicator is the "HD working" LED!

Is there any "application startup indicator enable" somewhere to preference settings? If no, do we have a bug report already?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: No indication of "wait till application starts" (no hourglass or rolling circle)

I have the same behavior, if that can help. Just supposed it was by design.. I think I read something about that somewhere, I'll try to see if I can find it again.
    Edit : not the one I was thinking of, but close enough http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36351
    Edit nb2 : when Chrome waits for a page to load, here on the forums for ex, the cursor does change to a spinning circle. What I read was it was left to applications to use it or not.
    Last edited by bapoumba; March 30th, 2014 at 08:40 PM.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: No indication of "wait till application starts" (no hourglass or rolling circle)

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    I have the same behavior, if that can help. Just supposed it was by design.. I think I read something about that somewhere, I'll try to see if I can find it again.
    Edit : not the one I was thinking of, but close enough http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36351
    Edit nb2 : when Chrome waits for a page to load, here on the forums for ex, the cursor does change to a spinning circle. What I read was it was left to applications to use it or not.

Thanks for the link, actually I have the same configuration with Rex (mod @ lxde forum) who mentions it as a minor problem.

In my EeePC, first firefox run appear after 6-7 seconds of "no indication". Possibly a faster PC minimizes the time lug, but "Lubuntu has very low hardware requirements" and main target could be XP-PCs.

I tried to find other ideas but I got dissapointed as there is no "single trim" to get it.
    Now I am trying to find an existing bug report, otherwise will make one after final release.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Now there is something I have been looking at, is try to set the StartupNotify=true, but have not found where it is.. I have no .desktop file in my /home.
    Code:
    grep -H -r "StartupNotify" /home/bapoumba_lxde/
    Returns only Chromium cached files from this thread or my searches..
    J'aime les fraises.

| Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeVita View Post
    ...The same happens if you are using a time consuming command as "Search for a file" (Menu > Accessories > File Manager > Tools > Find Files).
    The only indicator is the "HD working" LED! ...
    Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    ... I have been looking ... I have no .desktop file in my /home.
    Try the "typical file search" as a "typical" (not technical) user will do.
    The "HD working" LED or the "HD head movement sound" will be your assistant...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Try the "typical file search" as a "typical" (not technical) user will do.
    The "HD working" LED or the "HD head movement sound" will be your assistant...
    When I search for .desktop in my /home with PCManFM 1.2.0, I have a spinning wheel. Looks like I cannot take a screenshot, as even with a timed screenshot, the cursor turns to the regular arrow when the screen is captured.. You'll have to take my word for it
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Thanks for declaring, this helps me to try it more!
    About ".desktop", using terminal:
    Code:
    sudo find / -name firefox.desktop
    I found it but it was already set: StartupNotify=true
    (file: /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop)

Now running Lubuntu 13.10, I'll try also using latest daily .iso.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks for declaring, this helps me to try it more!
    About ".desktop", using terminal:
    Code:
    sudo find / -name firefox.desktop
    I found it but it was already set: StartupNotify=true
    (file: /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop)

Now running Lubuntu 13.10, I'll try also using latest daily .iso.
    /o\ Why was I stuck on the idea this was going to be a /home file ?
    Same here for /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop BTW.
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

I don't use lubuntu so more of an aside regarding "StartupNotify=true" in a .desktop
    That may not be enough, at least in recent history, to cause 'cursor spin' while an app is opening.
    An example would be Ubuntu/compiz where it wasn't always happening which lead to this bug
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz/+bug/1179155

In the case of compiz they did decide to fix thru rev. 3696 so probably lubuntu would need to address specifically like ubuntu/compiz did.

(myself revert 3696 for the compiz I use here as it has some unintended effects & with newish hardware nothing takes more than 1 sec. or so to open at worst...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    ... regarding "StartupNotify=true" in a .desktop
    That may not be enough, ...
    Also we found that this parameter is already set to "true", but also setting to "false" makes no difference! Possibly, as LXDE is minimal, it does not check this flag.

Trying to identify the reason for the long start time of firefox, I got better times (aprox 4 sec.) after reseting firefox (no addons, no home page, etc.).
    This reveal another problem existing in Lubuntu 13.10 but not in Ubuntu:
    Code:
    (process:2366): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
    Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve property `GtkRange::activate-slider' of type `gboolean' from rc file value "((GString*) 0xaf0ecd40)" of type `GString'
    In any case, it is not a solution to trim every launcher for "slow startup" applications (ex. firefox with add-ons).
    At this time it seems that we have to live without "application startup notification" in Lubuntu.
    Last edited by GeorgeVita; March 31st, 2014 at 08:59 PM.