Thread: Advise me an external hard drive for use with Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Advise me an external hard drive for use with Linux

I am running Ubuntu 13.10 on ThinkPad X200 with Intel 520 SSD, and I'm going to buy a Microsoft [sic!] Surface Pro 2 (it has USB3) to use with Ubuntu 14.04 and beyond.

So my main hard drive is relatively small but fast SSD and I will need a larger HDD for backups and whatever stuff I'd like to put there. I guess I guess if my main drive is SSD, large external SSD would be ideal, but that's too expensive.

Which external hard drive would you recommend? I am open to both ready-made devices (e.g. WD Passport) and separate pieces (HDD+enclosure). I have an older black USB IDE Agestar box and, while it is probably considered off-brand, works fine for me, though probably slow by today's standards.

Also, which files system should I use on my external drive? Should I use FAT32, to be able to boot from this drive and transfer files to Windows computers?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Advise me an external hard drive for use with Linux

I use mostly WD drives and I found that the ones with their own power supply are more reliable.
    With FAT32, you can occasionally have problem with files larger than 4G.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Have you considered network attached storage? You can have Windows, and Linux compatibility and still use ext4fs, or you can build a nas4free box and use zfs. Or just buy one and use whatever it uses and not worry about it.

But if you go USB, avoid the passports. They have a hidden virtual cd partition that is surprisingly hard to remove. You are better off whiteboxing it with an enclosure and drive of choice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by houstonbofh View Post
    Have you considered network attached storage? You can have Windows, and Linux compatibility and still use ext4fs, or you can build a nas4free box and use zfs. Or just buy one and use whatever it uses and not worry about it.
    I just might. So, instead of wired USB, I will connect by wired Ethernet? Wi-Fi is too slow. To think of it, maybe it will have the USB option, too.
    Would you recommend any particular network attached storage device? I'm aiming at the compact form factor; the more compact, the better (ideally, close to 2,5" hard drive).
    But if you go USB, avoid the passports. They have a hidden virtual cd partition that is surprisingly hard to remove.
    Thanks for the advice!
    You are better off whiteboxing it with an enclosure and drive of choice.
    ok, I was considering it anyway. Any particular recommendations for enclosure? I think I'll go with this one as a drive:
    HGST Travelstar 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6GB/s 32MB Cache
    I like my black Agestar IDE enclosure. While it's kinda off-brand, it worked fine for me, looks plain and nice, just the way I like, and takes up hardly more space than a 2.5" hard drive that fits in it (inside a thin metal box there's a drive, snugly fit, and a niny little controller board). I'm looking for an upgrade because the filesystem on that drive bacame defective: it doesn't make more free space when you delete files, so I need another big-ish drive just to transfer all the data off it and reformat. If noone recommends any better, I'll look for USB3/SATA version of it.
    Last edited by Nickolai_Leschov; May 3rd, 2014 at 04:40 PM.