Thread: Repairing broken mp4 file?

Beans

Repairing broken mp4 file?

I have two broken mp4 files that I want to fix. They were taken with a Contour camera. Most of the videos are fine, but sometimes a video becomes corrupted part way through. When I open one of the corrupted videos, the first part plays fine, but then part way through it stops and I get an input/output error. This happened in VLC, and it just stopped playing at that part. I also tried using openshot and the screen went white at that point. When I copy them from my Contour to my HDD I get an error as well, but they still copy successfully. I don't care about sound, I just want to recover the video. Not sure if this will help, but I tried ffmpeg -i. When I paste it here the forum removes the line breaks so I have it in a pastebin. Is there any way to recover the video? And if not with any Linux software, is there any Windows software I could use if I transferred the files to a computer with Windows? Thanks.

Beans

Re: Repairing broken mp4 file?

It would be nice to look at the file itself. Could you upload it, perhaps here:

http://www.datafilehost.com/

and give the download link?
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

The file is here.

Beans

Thanks for that. The error is:

Code:
    [h264 @ 0x7f21a0f1dce0]AVC: nal size 128102
    [h264 @ 0x7f21a0f1dce0]no frame!
    Error while decoding frame!
    which has me stuck at the moment for both playback or transcoding. And I am keen to see if Erin skis down the slope .

Edit: This may be beyond my skills, looks like a pretty badly broken file. Hopefully another Forum user can have more luck...
    Last edited by andrew.46; April 1st, 2014 at 10:00 AM.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The sun was remarkably bright in that video for an event happening at 23:45!
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

@Andrew, thanks for trying. She did ski it, and that's why I care about having it fixed, it was her first time ever dropping a cliff. Perfect landing too. I want to give her the video. @Seiji, what? Is a joke going over my head?