Thread: Mubuntu - MATE is in the 14.04 repos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Cool Mubuntu - MATE is in the 14.04 repos

I started with Hardy Heron (8.04) and soon grew to love the GNOME 2.3 desktop.

Then things started to go south. Unity replaced GNOME, GNOME 3.x replaced GNOME 2.3. When I first heard about MATE, I installed the Mint version with MATE and was a happy camper.

However, as irritating as some of the aspects of using *buntu may be, I found Mint to be more annoying, so I went back to Kubuntu with MATE (from a PPA).

Just installed Kubuntu 14.04, and (to my delight) MATE is in the repos!

I'm an even happier camper.
    Last edited by oldrocker99; March 29th, 2014 at 10:32 PM.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

Re: Mubuntu! MATE is in the 14.04 repos!

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    I started with Hardy Heron (8.04) and soon grew to love the GNOME 2.3 desktop.

Then things started to go south. Unity replaced GNOME, GNOME 3.x replaced GNOME 2.3. When I first hard about MATE, I installed the Mint version with MATE and was a happy camper.

However, as irritating as some of the aspects of using *buntu may be, I found Mint to be more annoying, so I went back to Kubuntu with MATE (from a PPA).

Just installed Kubuntu 14.04, and (to my delight) MATE is in the repos!

I'm an even happier camper.
    Have you actually tried installing Mate from the repos?

About one week ago it was still broken.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Mubuntu - MATE is in the 14.04 repos

In fact, it was broken. It wasn't available from the display manager as a session. I ended up installing MATE 1.8 from the matedesktop.org repos, which has Trusty versions. All is well.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes in deed works a treat, Been using it for a couple of weeks now.
    just a few minor glitch's with compiz tossing the window decoration from time to time.
    Other than that nothing to report bad. Oh don't forget to have caja as the default file-manger
    For those interested in trying it out. Taken Off webup8.
    To add the MATE 1.8 repository and install MATE Desktop 1.8 in Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr or 13.10 Saucy Salamander, use the following commands:
    Code:
    echo "deb http://repo.mate-desktop.org/archive/1.8/ubuntu $(lsb_release -cs) main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mate-desktop.list
    wget -qO - http://mirror1.mate-desktop.org/debian/mate-archive-keyring.gpg | sudo apt-key add -
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install mate-core mate-desktop-environment mate-notification-daemon
    After it installs run dist-upgrade. Then I rebooted, on login window I of course choose the mate session.
    And Then if you want to un-install mate
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove atril atril-common caja caja-common engrampa engrampa-common eom eom-common gir1.2-mate-panel libatril libcaja-extension1 
    libmarco-private0 libmate-desktop-2-17 libmate-menu2 libmate-panel-applet4-1 libmatekbd-common libmatekbd4 libmateweather-common libmateweather1 
    marco marco-common mate-applets mate-applets-common mate-backgrounds mate-calc mate-calc-common mate-control-center mate-core mate-desktop
     mate-desktop-common mate-desktop-environment mate-dialogs mate-dialogs-common mate-icon-theme mate-media mate-media-common
     mate-media-gstreamer mate-menus mate-notification-daemon mate-panel mate-panel-common mate-polkit mate-polkit-common mate-power-manager
    mate-power-manager-common mate-screensaver mate-screensaver-common mate-session-manager mate-settings-daemon mate-settings-daemon-common
     mate-settings-daemon-gstreamer mate-system-monitor mate-terminal mate-terminal-common mate-themes mate-utils mate-utils-common pluma pluma-common
    Then to remove the PPA

Code:
    sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mate-desktop.list
    Enjoy Mate 1.8
    Last edited by QDR06VV9; March 30th, 2014 at 04:45 PM. Reason: info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The 1.8 in that directory is an unofficial build by the devs. It was OK here, but I imagine there are reasons it is not yet available in the official Mate repos.