Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New PC build - could use advice

Beans

New PC build - could use advice

Hey guys,
    I've been looking at a new desktop and have decided to build one myself for the first time in over a decade... parts have changed a bit and I've had a hard time finding comments on how well the parts I've chosen will work with ubuntu so I was hoping some of the experts could look it over and see if there are any obvious problems I have missed either with ubuntu or just general stupidity on my part with the build. I hope this is the right forum for this, this one looked like the most applicable.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3isb0
    Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Arctic Cooling ACFZ11-LP Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler
    Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
    Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 2GB Video Card
    Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case
    Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Creative Labs Audigy SE 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card

I threw in a sound card because I have seen several people mentioning sound problems with the motherboard I chose. I just randomly picked from the list as far as cpu cooling, that's one I've never had to deal with before so it's one of the main things I was hoping someone could tell me if it's acceptable. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: New PC build - could use advice

I tend to not worry about problems that I do not have yet, so I would skip the sound card. If it becomes a problem, you can fix it then. And if so, I would not go Creative Labs, as they too have had a troubled relationship with Linux.

I also prefer Intel SSDs. They have the best performance, and seem to last longer than anyone else. I actually have not seen one die yet.

I do not see an optical disk... And considering the prices, I would look at a BluRay burner. Also, I would add a spinning rust drive for archive and backups. 120 gig fills up fast.

Last is memory. I believe in filling it, as it makes a difference! But if you are set on 8 gig, get a single 8 gig stick. That way when you need to upgrade to 32gig you don't have to throw away your old memory.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

don't get a Z77 board unless you are getting a i5-3570k or i7-3670k, Z77 is for overclocking
    You don't need a dinky CPU cooler, stock is fine you are not overclocking
    unless you are media editing you don't need over 8gb ram, unless you are a pro media editor you don't need 32GB ram, 16 would be plenty for a typical media editor person
    anything over DDR3 1600 is complete waste only a newbe would make, unless you can get it cheaper
    grab a HDD to go with a SSD
    that GPU is obsolete get a GTX 750 it uses about 1/2 th power and out preforms a GTX 650
    sound cards are a waste of money, finding drivers for them after a few years becomes a pain
    why so much money for a case? your are not building a show case computer
    my suggestion (better and lower price):
    http://tinyurl.com/llu3yd3 (base64 encoded page, i don't think chrome likes links like this)

@houstonbofh
    optical media is obsolete, you cant play blue-ray retail disk without subscription based software, better off with a standalone player if you actually need one
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; March 29th, 2014 at 09:40 PM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Are you gaming??? If so get a 750ti else drop the gpu and get a i5 with gpu. the onchip is easly powerful enougth to drive a 1080p compiz panel and you dont need deal with close source binary rubbish
    HACK THE PLANET!!! sorry

Beans

pqwoerituytrueiwoq - I think I'm going to go with the setup you recommended, I had been looking through amazon for free shipping but as long as I'm willing to wait a few more days the savings through newegg more than make up for the shipping costs.
    I already have a few optical drives lying around I think I can use, I only ever use them for burning ISOs.
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

Beans
    Distro

enjoy your build, you easily have enough in juice in that psu for SLI with 2 GTX 750 TIs, if you ever need it
    technically you could run 4 of those if you wanted, but sli is limited to 2 units on that gpu i think
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    unless you are media editing you don't need over 8gb ram, unless you are a pro media editor you don't need 32GB ram, 16 would be plenty for a typical media editor person
    anything over DDR3 1600 is complete waste only a newbe would make, unless you can get it cheaper

@houstonbofh
    optical media is obsolete, you cant play blue-ray retail disk without subscription based software, better off with a standalone player if you actually need one
    So... I have 24 gig and I use it. Yet I am not a media editor. I am a network guy, primarily. Often I use it because I have a dozen web pages up trying to troubleshoot an issue, and Firefox is a pig. I also do quite a bit with VMs, and they sure do like memory. I have never seen anyone with too much memory, but I have see a lot with too little. And my point was get the large chips so an upgrade later is not a waste.

As for optical media... For obsolete stuff I sure use it a lot. I am constantly making boot disks, rescue disks, and data disks... Not to mention obscure software drivers and documentation on disk... And I say blu-ray over DVD because the price difference is so little, and you never know when you will need it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by houstonbofh View Post
    I also do quite a bit with VMs, and they sure do like memory.
    Your memory usage is much higher than average, so do not project it.

I have never seen anyone with too much memory, but I have see a lot with too little.
    It's becoming rarer. This isn't 2004...

And my point was get the large chips so an upgrade later is not a waste.
    The problem with getting one stick is that you lose dual-channel capability.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by houstonbofh View Post
    So... I have 24 gig and I use it. Yet I am not a media editor. I am a network guy, primarily. Often I use it because I have a dozen web pages up trying to troubleshoot an issue, and Firefox is a pig. I also do quite a bit with VMs, and they sure do like memory. I have never seen anyone with too much memory, but I have see a lot with too little. And my point was get the large chips so an upgrade later is not a waste.

As for optical media... For obsolete stuff I sure use it a lot. I am constantly making boot disks, rescue disks, and data disks... Not to mention obscure software drivers and documentation on disk... And I say blu-ray over DVD because the price difference is so little, and you never know when you will need it.
    i have 12gb on my desktop and i have over 200 ff tabs and it does not even dent my ram usage, vbox usage will vary depend on configuration of running vboxes
    it is ram if op ever need more than 8 he can get another 4, 8, or 16gb kit and add it to the system
    ever tried a multiboot usb stick?
    50 vs 15 usd is not much to you? with i had money like that, OP has dvd drives already
    how long has blu-ray been around, i never never touched a bluray disk and rarely touch a dvd/cd
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; March 30th, 2014 at 11:25 PM.

Beans

If you're going to use integrated graphics, then you should consider getting a Haswell CPU with the HD4600 graphics, especially if you want to do some light/moderate gaming. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116942

anything over DDR3 1600 is complete waste only a newbe would make
    Well, there is OC'ing, and also the extra bandwidth could help the integrated graphics in heavier 3D usage...
    But yes, I don't really see the need for most users. They would be better off getting a cheaper kit without the tall heat spreaders (since the heat spreaders could interfere with bigger CPU coolers) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231544

sound cards are a waste of money, finding drivers for them after a few years becomes a pain
    If one is going to use analog output, then a discrete card could be a good upgrade. I've gotten a ton of mileage out of my M-Audio Revo card, and drivers are not an issue in Linux (only in Windows 7 because M-Audio never released drivers there). At $25-$30, the Xonar DG(X) is a really good upgrade for those with good headphones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast