Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you file share between Ubuntu & Windows XP dual boot?

Beans

How do you file share between Ubuntu & Windows XP dual boot?

I am presently dual booting Windows XP and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. It is working well. But I would like to be able to access some files that are on one "side" (Windows or Ubuntu) of the PC with the other "side." I'd especially like to be able to create or download a file in Ubuntu and be able to use it in Windows. I am presently transferring such files from Ubuntu to Windows using a thumbdrive. But this is pretty inconvenient.

I've been trying to read posts in this forum and online, but it is not clear to me what a good and reasonable course of action would be. It seems that some posts suggest making a shared NTFS partition that is read only for one operating system. Another solution is in this post ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=469666 ) that suggests downloading and installing an application into each OS. These applications apparently allow one operating system to see the other.

QUESTION(S): Does anybody have good advice about how to file share between Ubuntu and Windows XP?

I've attached a screenshot from my disk utility that shows the status of the hard drive.

Thank you,

R.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How do you file share between Ubuntu & Windows XP dual boot?

Your Windows drive should appear toward the bottom of the Launcher on the left side of the screen. Click its icon and you will be able to copy files to the Windows drive and access anything that is already there.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

A thumbdrive solution is about as good as it gets. Fs-driver does not support ext4, which you are presently using.

Beans

XP support ends next week. Time to get rid of the XP partition.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    XP support ends next week. Time to get rid of the XP partition.
    my games on it still work nicely so i think i will keep it for the forseable future. it's not like they supported it a lot lately anyway. most security updates were for malware removal tool. no serious patches.

ext2nfs or what is called now - the tool that allows you to read linux parittion from windows will do. another option is separate partition for data or for example external disk formated with ntfs so both can read it.

otherwise as suggested moving files form linux part of disk to windows part of disk is easy.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

@OP,

Didn't you solve your problem by dualbooting with CENTOS 6.5? Why still keep XP?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RMcGinnis View Post
    It seems that some posts suggest making a shared NTFS partition that is read only for one operating system.
    Creating a separate NTFS data partition under Windows is a viable solution, allowing the use of the same files under both Windows and Linux. The trick is that Linux will use the NTFS partition, while Windows would deny all knowledge of files contained in an ext4 partition. Thus, the NTFS partiton can be read by both operating systems.

The other advantage is that it makes backing up your volatile data files very easy. You just back up the data disk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How much information would you be accessing between the OSes? Have you considered something like Ubuntu One, Dropbox, or Google Drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

mount the xp partition with fstab (google it)
    add this to your /etc/rc.local script before the exit line
    adjust the file paths as necessary, i made some guesses based on your user name here
    i also assumed you will be using fstab to put xp in /mnt/XP
    Code:
    mount --bind /mnt/XP/"Documents and Settings"/RMcGinnis/"My Documents" /home/rmcginnis/Documents
    mount --bind /home/rmcginnis/Documents/"My Music" /home/rmcginnis/Music
    you can add lines based on the second line in that code for your Videos folder and what ever else xp has, i forget all the stock folders
    By doing this all your files are stored on your XP install, these are not copies, if you delete xp you delete all your files

+1 for moving away from XP, but that is not what OP wants
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; March 29th, 2014 at 01:27 PM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Using a cloud service to transfer files between two OS in the same physical system , is like going to London from Paris via Tokyo. It's slower , could be expensive if OP has a connection with bandwidth limits and totally unneeded and complicated. Linux can read/write to ntfs perfectly (to my experience) and ntfs is Window's native fs. So to share a file from Linux to Windows just put it directly on the ntfs partition , on the exact folder you 'll want it to be. To 'transfer' a file from Windows to Linux simply do ...nothing. Just access it directly from the Windows partition.

You can make a new ntfs partition if you want to have shared files separately for easier find but it's not necessary. If you do you can event mount it to a folder on your home folder (I like it that way).

EDIT: pqwoerituytrueiwoq's (god bless copy-paste!) example above will make your Documents and Music folders in Ubuntu be the actual respective Windows' folders. Just keep in mind in that setup that if you want to add for example 1 GB of data in Music folder you 'll have to consider the Window's partition free space not Ubuntu's (thought right click on the folder will so the correct free space always)
    Last edited by sotiris2; March 29th, 2014 at 01:39 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast