Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hardware advice: Building a new server

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Hardware advice: Building a new server

Ok... that sounds pretty good . Is this turbo boost configurable or does the cpu decide it all by itself?
    I'll try to google some benchmarks.

Beans
    Distro

Well, that's why I didn't find it at Alternate... It's not available .
    http://reviewbros.com/2013/10/07/intel-cpu/

Edit: you were right. Passmark says 2031 for my Phenom 8650 an 7344 for the E3-1230lv3.
    Last edited by sgofferj; March 29th, 2014 at 10:36 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sgofferj View Post
    Is this turbo boost configurable or does the cpu decide it all by itself?
    The CPU does it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Turbo_Boost

The Xeon E3-1230L is a 6/7/9/10 turbo scheme, so if you had all four cores loaded, it would run at 2.4GHz, three cores would be 2.5 GHz, two cores would be 2.7Ghz, and one core is the full 2.8Ghz.

Does your weather processing scale well with more cores/threads? (i.e. is it a parallel problem)?

Beans

That doesn't surprise me. Those chips are incredibly efficient, so of course they go to OEM's

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    Does your weather processing scale well with more cores/threads? (i.e. is it a parallel problem)?
    The rendering tool doesn't. It doesn't know multithreading. But I have split the load in several jobs which I can simply start in parallel. My system just doesn't have enough cpu and i/o power. If I run more than 1 render job in parallel, the rest of the services break in, especially asterisk and dlna/mediatomb.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I recently ordered one of these to build a file server for a small non-profit organization. It was like $350 from Newegg if I recall.

http://www.asrockrack.com/general/pr...Model=C2750D4I

It has 8 processor cores at 2.4GHz, 20W TDP, up to 64GB of ECC memory, and 12 SATA ports. Also mini ITX form factor! All it's missing is 10GbE and it would be the perfect file server. Though it has a PCI Express slot if you need that too.

Beans

The Avoton is an Atom-based CPU, so if OP's needs aren't met by a triple core Phenom, I suspect the Avoton would be underpowered too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    The Avoton is an Atom-based CPU, so if OP's needs aren't met by a triple core Phenom, I suspect the Avoton would be underpowered too.
    The C2750 is significantly faster than that. Check out the reviews of it and the benchmarks. It's pretty astonishing performance for 20 watt TDP (on par with the Opteron 3380, which is 8 cores at 2.6GHz).

Beans
    Distro

That looks like the perfect solution for my Secondary Storage NAS. Maybe a bit too underpowered for the main server as that would have a bit more on it's plate than just file serving.

@Temüjin:
    Performance-wise, my Phenom is pretty ok for the task - with careful ressource-management, but my system is just old and getting flaky plus it draws way too much power, hence the rebuild.
    Linux user since 1997, reg'd Linux User #247167, quote: "GUI? Great, I can open multiple console windows side by side!"
    Specialties: Network / security / communications, Asterisk
    Other projects: The Finnish Weather Center, Wolf Pack online magazine

Beans
    Distro

Well, the 1230L V3 is available in May here. I just have a problem with the board. I was looking at the Asus P9D-M or P9D-C/4L but I couldn't determine with certainty if they support VT-d. The feature list doesn't say anything and also I couldn't find definitive infos about the C224 chipset. However, in the manual for the P9D-C/4L, on page 4-17 it says something about enabling VT-d and so does the manual of the P9D-M on page 4-18.

Linux user since 1997, reg'd Linux User #247167, quote: "GUI? Great, I can open multiple console windows side by side!"
    Specialties: Network / security / communications, Asterisk
    Other projects: The Finnish Weather Center, Wolf Pack online magazine

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123