Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardware advice: Building a new server

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Hardware advice: Building a new server

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Well, that's another consideration. We were calculating on full throttle. The difference in power consumption drops significantly when considering that.
    Of course, but a generally more powersaving system also is more powersaving on just idle, i.e. e.g. less heat waste . And I'd guess, that's especially true with current hw. The Phenom 8650 is what - 4 years old? I actually measured it and the whole system pulls 150W on idle and 170W on 300% (all 3 cores running 100%). The CPU itself has a TDP of 95W...

The decision most certainly becomes less a matter of electricity bill and more of initial cost of components.
    EDIT: By the way, my 60W bulb burning 24/7 costs me $36.76US annually -- and that's actually running at 60W. At 10%, that goes down to $3.68.
    With your electricity costs, I see your point . In USD (todays exchange rate), 60W cost me roughly $95/year.

Besides, the AMD FX-8320 costs €137,90 in Europe while the A10-6700 only costs €119, so powersaving is even cheaper .

@leonmaxx:
    Thanks for the info on the board!
    I don't "need" a graphics core on a server - it's a matter of calculation. The A10-6700 has 65W TDP including graphics chipset (which I actually can use for rendering also with OpenCL). If I'd take a CPU without display chipset included, the display chipset would be on the MB, so it would be "extra" power consumption in the whole calculation.

Anyways, I'm not nailed down to AMD... While researching in the web, I found some Intel chips which are supposed to have only 35W TDP? Core i3...? What's the thing with them?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by leonmaxx View Post
    If You still want A10-6700 - yes, it supports virtualization, and I can recommend You a motherboard with working AMD-Vi: ASUS A88XM-A.
    Do I see right that that board does NOT support ECC RAM? I know, I forgot to write this earlier, but I'd like to use ECC. My current server used to have 8GB RAM and just a few weeks ago I started getting weird segfaults and stuff. After hours of debugging, I ran memtest and found that the upmost 2GB bar had some faulty cells... With ECC I'd probably have noticed that much faster as my Linux kernel would have screamed at me about it...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sgofferj View Post
    Do I see right that that board does NOT support ECC RAM? I know, I forgot to write this earlier, but I'd like to use ECC. My current server used to have 8GB RAM and just a few weeks ago I started getting weird segfaults and stuff. After hours of debugging, I ran memtest and found that the upmost 2GB bar had some faulty cells... With ECC I'd probably have noticed that much faster as my Linux kernel would have screamed at me about it...
    Looks like ECC RAM is not supported by APUs at all.

Quote Originally Posted by sgofferj
    I found some Intel chips which are supposed to have only 35W TDP? Core i3...? What's the thing with them?
    First take a look if it supports VT-x and VT-d, Intel is known to be greedy on VT-d in cheap CPUs.
    Last edited by leonmaxx; March 29th, 2014 at 12:11 PM.

Beans

While researching in the web, I found some Intel chips which are supposed to have only 35W TDP? Core i3...? What's the thing with them?
    The thing? They're just like regular Core i3's, except they showed excellent electrical characteristics in testing, so Intel "binned" them separately and charges a bit more for them. Core i3's don't support Vt-d though...

The Core i5-4440S might be worth a look: http://ark.intel.com/products/75040/...up-to-3_30-GHz

Beans
    Distro

"Regular Core i3"... I think you underestimate how clueless I am when it comes to hardware .
    Hm, basically, I'm back to where I was now... Too many options and too little current knowledge to make a decision...

Let me summarize again... I wanna remodel my homeserver which runs 24/7. Electricity is expensive here in Finland (at least much more expensive than in the US) and it's likely gonna get even more expensive soon thanks to energy taxes, so power consumption is a big issue. Otherwise I need virtualization support, min. 6xSATA (system disk, 4x storage, hot spare), support for ECC RAM. I do *not* need excessive computing performance - performance-wise even my current old Phenom 8650 is mostly sufficient. My budget is "as much as needed", means, I don't care if a CPU cost $100 more than another one if it can save 50 or 60W because I will have the price difference amortized within a year. And of course, it should run under Ubuntu Server .
    Linux user since 1997, reg'd Linux User #247167, quote: "GUI? Great, I can open multiple console windows side by side!"
    Specialties: Network / security / communications, Asterisk

Beans

"Regular Core i3"... I think you underestimate how clueless I am when it comes to hardware .
    It's just a model name. Don't freak out about it... Just look for the features you want. If power is really, really important to you, then the choice is fairly easy in my opinion (at least on Intel side).
    Core i5 4670T - 45W, 2.3GHz quad core, Vt-d, HD4600 graphics

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    If power is really, really important to you, then the choice is fairly easy in my opinion (at least on Intel side).
    Core i5 4670T - 45W, 2.3GHz quad core, Vt-d, HD4600 graphics
    What would be a suitable board? I have been checking S1150 boards from Asus at alternate.de but the ones I find interesting (mostly P9D variants with 2x or 4xNIC or others which support ECC RAM) don't seem to support Core i5... E.g. P9D-C/4L says supports Intel® Core™ i3 (Haswell), Intel® Pentium G (Haswell), Intel® Xeon E3 v3 (Haswell), but nothing about Core i5...
    Linux user since 1997, reg'd Linux User #247167, quote: "GUI? Great, I can open multiple console windows side by side!"

Beans

says supports Intel® Core™ i3 (Haswell), Intel® Pentium G (Haswell), Intel® Xeon E3 v3 (Haswell), but nothing about Core i5...
    See list here: http://www.asus.com/us/Commercial_Se...9DC4L/#support
    It doesn't support i5, nor does it support integrated graphics. That board is meant to be used headless, so if you don't mind that, then the CPU that you would probably like is the Xeon E3-1230L v3, quad core with Hyperthreading, 1.8GHz (2.8GHz Turbo) , no integrated graphics, 25W TDP: http://ark.intel.com/products/75053

Beans
    Distro

I think you misunderstood me . I meant, which would be a suitable board for the Core i5 you suggested? That P9D was just an example for all the boards in the list which don't seem to support Core i5.
    The board does have some primitive graphocs chip onboard and a VGA out . Plus a "management LAN" - I suppose that is some KVM over ethernet stuff, ideally VNC or RDP?
    I'm not so familiar with Xeon but 1.8GHz sounds a bit too slow. That would be slower than my current Phenom, although 25W TDP sound pretty awesome!

Beans

I meant, which would be a suitable board for the Core i5 you suggested?
    I personally don't know in this case. If you intend to use ECC RAM and make heavy use of IOMMU, make sure you do your research/homework. Maybe someone else can give you more specific suggestions..

I'm not so familiar with Xeon but 1.8GHz sounds a bit too slow
    If you do put the chip under really demanding load, it will Turbo Boost to 2.8GHz. Actually, it sounds ideal for your workload.
    That would be slower than my current Phenom
    You can't make a direct comparison just looking at clock speed (for example, a 3.0GHz Phenom is way faster that a 3.4GHz Pentium 4).
    Last edited by Temüjin; March 29th, 2014 at 08:39 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast