Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 14.04 Final Beta upgrade from 13.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: 14.04 Final Beta upgrade from 13.10

I will probably go the separate partition route, thanks everybody.
    "Been thinkin' about IT!
    IT being something totally undefinable..." (Van Morrison)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Alternatively you could try them out as virtual machines, which is what I'm doing with Lubuntu, Xubuntu and Ubuntu in Virtualbox, as a foolproof and safe way to look at them all. It does, however, require a fairly high spec machine to really do them justice.

PS: at the moment all three are looking extremely good; minor glitches here and there but no show-stoppers that I've seen for a long time, though there were a few much earlier in the development cycle.

Beans

I have downloaded Ubuntu 14.04 from here and so far it runs bug free

http://uec-images.ubuntu.com/releases/14.04/beta-1/

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i got the same messages upon running
    update-manager -d

is the upgrade process noob proof?
    i am pretty handy, but when the upgrade fails, i have to reinstall ubuntu, and that's not what i want

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Ubi_one_2014 View Post
    update-manager -d

is the upgrade process noob proof?
    Yes, so long as you don't do something like running update-manager -d from the terminal. Using "-d, --devel-release, Check if upgrading to the latest devel release is possible" is not intended for "noobs".
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisherbryan View Post
    I got the announcement of the 14.04 Final Beta today. But when I begin to upgrade the first thing I see is this:

Attachment 251533

It says Alpha! In caps! I am reasonably sure this would not be available to me through Update Manager unless it is the Final Beta, but I do not want to hit the upgrade button without confirming that with those who know more.

Thank You!!!
    That just means they didn't update the notice, upgrading via update manager will grab the latest - not an old Alpha

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Yes, so long as you don't do something like running update-manager -d from the terminal. Using "-d, --devel-release, Check if upgrading to the latest devel release is possible" is not intended for "noobs".
    no, i do not run it from the terminal, but by using alt+f2

thanks for your answer,
    i will consider if i really want it, rather then wait an extra 3 weeks to download the iso

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

OK, I installed 14.04 on a separate partition on one machine and then really tried to find flaws and found none. This encouraged me, so I actually upgraded my "B" machine (alt+f2 etc.), again, no problems. The upgrade took a couple of hours, so if you're going to do it give yourself time.
    Thanks to everyone who took an interest in my case.
    "Been thinkin' about IT!
    IT being something totally undefinable..." (Van Morrison)

Beans
    Distro

thanks for sharing your experience

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisherbryan View Post
    OK, I installed 14.04 on a separate partition on one machine and then really tried to find flaws and found none. This encouraged me, so I actually upgraded my "B" machine (alt+f2 etc.), again, no problems. The upgrade took a couple of hours, so if you're going to do it give yourself time.
    Thanks to everyone who took an interest in my case.
    You did right,and forget people that advise people not to get Ubuntu14.04 till april, it runs better then Ubuntu 12.04LTS for sure,. i see no reason not to, get it now since it's running very well bug free, i tried Ubuntu13.10 also then i updated it to Ubuntu14.04 and it runned perfectly, then i made an Iso of Ubuntu14.04 beta1 and installed it replacing the 13.10 upgraded to 14.04, and result same thing, it's working ok also bug free,
    i don't understand people that do not give a good reason why not to install it now.The same goes for Xubuntu 14.04 it's running 90% better then xubuntu 12.04LTS on one of my old p4.
    Last edited by frank18; March 30th, 2014 at 12:25 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12