Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 14.04 Beta - =O

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 Beta - =O

One thing I've noticed is that the webapps don't (yet) integrate properly like they did in 13.10: there is no 'active' arrow in the dock against Gmail or Facebook when those webpages are open, and there are no entries in the messages applet in the panel. Or is it just my install is borked?
    Registered Linux User #407403

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by slooksterpsv View Post
    Question? What's smoother than a red hot knife cutting through warm butter?

Answer: Ubuntu 14.04

This thing is stable. I just installed it and here's what's been going really well so far:
    1. Graphics looked like 16-bit color scheme so I installed fglrx =(... =(.... uh.... IT WORKED! =D
    2. Awaited error message popups like Xubuntu 13.10 gives me (about 5 per reboot).... none! =D
    3. Tested a few of my custom apps without updating repo (expecting to fail of course right?).... THEY RUN! =D
    4. Finding the options I wanted to use to tweak the interface.... SIMPLE! =D
    5. Switching out Firefox for Chrome (for personal reasons other than I just love Firefox).
    6. Setting up online accounts like Fb and that... expecting failures constantly with this one... it works!?!?!?!?!?! =D
    7. Sound in Flash - in Xubuntu it skips =(. Ubuntu 14.04 it works flawlessly!!!

This thing is stable so far, rock solid, and it may push me to switch to Ubuntu not Xubuntu or Gnome Ubuntu, but just Ubuntu. We'll see - I'm a flip flopper. I'll probably go to Ubuntu Gnome when it's released knowing me.
    Did you manage to install Chrome, it isn't for me
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by carl4926 View Post
    Did you manage to install Chrome, it isn't for me
    Just had to use dpkg not the software centre
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

carl's right, I normally do any deb install via dpkg with an apt-get install -f afterwards.
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Redalien0304 View Post
    If One has the Ubuntu Daily Image from a week or so ago do i need to Re-download & install Trusty?? I have been keeping Trusty Updated Via Update Manager. To be up to date with the New Beta?? I Believe i am ok but just making sure??
    You don't need to re-install.
    If you keep updating you'll get the same packages as any alpha or beta release.

Same goes for final release.
    The only reason to re-install is to fix a seriously borked configuration.
    Never ever happened to me in 8 years of using Ubuntu.
    Asus F201E - 1.1 GHz - Intel - 4 GB RAM - Ubuntu - 16.04
    Asus G752VM - 2.6GHz - NVidia 1060 - 16 GB RAM - Ubuntu 16.04
    Dell XPS 13 - 1.8 GHz - Intel® Kabylake GT1.5 - ath10k_pci - 16 GB RAM - Ubuntu 16.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

I always reformat instead of upgrade - some reason upgrades break my systems (haven't had a stable upgrade since Ubuntu released in 2004).

EDIT: Then again neither have I a Windows upgrade. And Windows 8.1 only updates via Store if you have Windows 8 already (granted you could find the ISO and burn it after it downloads, but meh).
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have had excellent results doing upgrades...but not using the software updater or terminal way of doing it...if you only run one ubuntu, and you pop in the live iso installer, it give you the option of installing the new version but bringing over all your data and most of your apps (where possible...brings over about 95% i find)...and that is the way i do it...i turn off any ppas i have installed (you lose those anyway) and about the only things that don't make it over for me is Chrome and the Ms Core Fonts...but all my personal settings make it over with no problem as well...saves me a lot of work of doing a totally clean install...

Actually, it feels like a clean install to me...you even get the slide show as you would doing a regular (wipe out the old system completely) install...

I'm running 14.04 development, and when 14.04 final iso comes out i will use the same method to "clean up" all the excess from development and get a nice fresh install of the final release, yet not have to re-install all my stuff again...just a few items which takes no time at all...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12