Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are tablet sales hurting Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Are tablet sales hurting Ubuntu?

There are many articles on the Internet about tablets out selling laptops. I am a laptop user, but I also have a tablet. In fact I am writing this on my tablet right now. (using Android). Between the release of Win8 and tablets running other OS' I believe it has hurt Ubuntu. At least I see it in my daily use of electronics. Also It has been awhile since I have been on the forum. Maybe so of you thought I died or just droped off the grid.
    What's your thoughts.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; April 1st, 2014 at 02:09 AM.
    My hometown on the Mississippi River.
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 750gig Hybrid.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Is tablet sales hurting Ubuntu?

Not really.

Ubuntu doesn't sell their services to end desktop / laptop users. Large enterprises pay them for support on their implementations, but we don't, so they aren't really hurt if people move away from Ubuntu.

That being said, Ubuntu (and other Linux distribution) users, are more likely than not to be the type of power users who would chafe at the limitations of your typical tablet. They might buy a tablet, but they would never replace their main computer with one. This might be more of a concern for Windows and OSX, but I doubt it for desktop linux.

Furthermore, with 14.04, Ubuntu will officially run on ARM tablets (at least some of them) so this will reduce the migration further.

I - for one - look forward to giving Ubuntu a test drive on my 2013 Nexus 7 tablet once dual booting on the Nexus 7 is stable.
    Desktop: Intel Core i7-3930K@4.7Ghz, Asus P9X79 WS, 32GB Corsair DDR3-2000, 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Sound Blaster Titanium HD, GeForce GTX TITAN
    Laptop: HP Folio 9470m, Core i5-3427u, 8GB
    ESXi (FreeNAS + Mythbuntu): Dual Xeon L5640, 96GB RAM, 48TB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Good information. I have a Asus Transformer TF300T I would love to have Ubuntu running on. I don't think I can do this without some help. Maybe 14.04 will run on it I don't know. If it does I have no idea how I would install it.
    My hometown on the Mississippi River.
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 750gig Hybrid.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    Good information. I have a Asus Transformer TF300T I would love to have Ubuntu running on. I don't think I can do this without some help. Maybe 14.04 will run on it I don't know. If it does I have no idea how I would install it.
    I'm sure once it is official, there will be plenty of guides!
    Desktop: Intel Core i7-3930K@4.7Ghz, Asus P9X79 WS, 32GB Corsair DDR3-2000, 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Sound Blaster Titanium HD, GeForce GTX TITAN
    Laptop: HP Folio 9470m, Core i5-3427u, 8GB
    ESXi (FreeNAS + Mythbuntu): Dual Xeon L5640, 96GB RAM, 48TB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Laptop and desktop sales seem to be down, but sales of phones and tablets are way up, and growing. So, the overall market is getting larger. What is happening is that many people have decided their computing needs don't require a desktop or a laptop, but can be met at less cost with a portable device.

Canonical is pointing itself squarely at that market segment.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    ...Maybe so of you thought I died or just droped off the grid.
    What's your thoughts.
    I have thought about getting my son that uses Ubuntu to post to the Ubuntu Forums and announce my death when it happens.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

I think tablets have done something significant for Ubuntu and all Linux distros; they've opened people up to the idea that many computing tasks can be done on something other than a Windows PC. They've also forced web designers and content developers away from the "everyone uses IE on Windows" mentality that locked so much web content from us in the past.

IMO, people who merely use free software don't really benefit free software; it's those who use and participate in some way who benefit free software. I'm painting with a broad brush, but somehow I think a person who is satisfied with a device as locked-down and consumer-oriented as a tablet was not going to be much of a participant.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm watching all the tablet threads and Ubuntu as I will buy one and switch it over to Ubuntu when the time comes.
    UsingTheTerminal and PopularPages A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans

That means a significant number of laptop and desktop owners do so little with their computers that they can do what they need with a tablet. I always think it is a waste of a good machine for doing things that could be done with much less power. Like, why do you need a real computer if all you ever do is watching youtube, visiting the internet and check email? I know this guy who bought a Mac book pro just for word processing (he doesn't even check email so much as he never reply sto mine. ), another guy bought a top of the line lenovo laptop with a quadro card just for doing Office and reading PDFs (I am waiting for him to sell it for less than half the price as the machine seems to have excellent Linux support). Well people like the second guy may be less common, but there are many people like the first guy.

I wouldn't get a tablet myself. It is a waste of money. For the price I can get a real laptop with respectable specs, and the tablet is not that portable comparing to the phone (ever seen guys who take pictures with a tablet in a festival? They just look stupid with the flat fat camera. ) Any way, I have spent enough time on the computer, when I go out I don't need to stare at a screen and a dumb phone that costs $50 is good enough for me.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    That means a significant number of laptop and desktop owners do so little with their computers that they can do what they need with a tablet... watching youtube, visiting the internet and check email...
    Yep. That fits most people I know.

I wouldn't get a tablet myself.

Got one. Use it when I'm lazy and on the couch. Also take it with me when I travel. Much more convenient than a laptop, and I don't need to pull it out and turn it on at airport security.

The smart phone is gone, though, replaced by a dumb phone, plus more money in my wallet.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast