Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fedora LXDE, Linux Mint LXDE or Lubuntu... is there a difference?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Fedora LXDE, Linux Mint LXDE or Lubuntu... is there a difference?

Fedora & Codecs? Yeah it does. You just have to install gstreamer plugins to get the codecs to work, usually yum'ing VLC does a bit of this for you.

Mint has stepped away from a lot of what Ubuntu has/does, and they're more based off of Debian than Ubuntu.
    Fedora while great, is more suited towards novice/advanced people - though I do admit I like their kernel implementation better, but I always have issues (no matter what version) with the installation (why I don't know - the past 4 versions I've tried to install always fail on different computers too even as a DVD!)

If it's an older machine, definiately Lubuntu poss. elementaryOS
    Newer but not as fast (e.g. has HDMI) - Xubuntu or elementaryOS
    New - Ubuntu, Ubuntu Gnome, or Kubuntu
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Beans
    Distro

Fedora & Codecs? Yeah it does. You just have to install gstreamer plugins to get the codecs to work, usually yum'ing VLC does a bit of this for you.

Mint has stepped away from a lot of what Ubuntu has/does, and they're more based off of Debian than Ubuntu.
    Fedora while great, is more suited towards novice/advanced people - though I do admit I like their kernel implementation better, but I always have issues (no matter what version) with the installation (why I don't know - the past 4 versions I've tried to install always fail on different computers too even as a DVD!)

If it's an older machine, definiately Lubuntu poss. elementaryOS
    Newer but not as fast (but has HDMI) - Xubuntu or elementaryOS
    New - Ubuntu, Ubuntu Gnome, or Kubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slooksterpsv View Post
    You have to add the rpmfusion repo first, or you can yum til the second coming and you won't find any non free codecs or vlc. So Rob Sayer is correct that Fedora doesn't come with non free codecs, it doesn't even come with vlc or mplayer.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; March 28th, 2014 at 09:34 PM.

Beans

Oh and another thing about Fedora is that since it changes so quickly online tutorials quickly become obsolete. This can be very frustrating if you need to trouble shoot something and nothing you find on google works. For example, I booted into a black screen and the method to get into level3 to fix it doesn't work any more even though if you google you get always the same tutorials and forum posts which work only up to Fedora 19. It turns out you need a different way to boot into level3 because of systemd.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; March 28th, 2014 at 09:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yup,Fedora is very dynamic.mint and ubntu are the most popular and efficient linux OS.Hope u would stay with the ubuntu community for a long time....
    Nav

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sayer View Post
    And their support forum is full of pompous asses who act like it's your fault because you didn't read the bugzilla report first.
    Wait til you go to Debian's forum especially if you use Ubuntu.
    In terms of support I think Ubuntu has the best forum and Arch the best documentation (the Archwiki is awesome)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; March 28th, 2014 at 09:51 PM.

Beans

Speaking of Arch, it is definitely not for beginners, but OP may want to check out Manjaro Linux, it is an Arch based distro, very newbie friendly and very fast and light (with a light desktop like xfce) Since it is Arch based I think it would work well with older machines. The Arch way of installing and managing software (Pacman, yaourt, AUR etc) may take a bit to get used to, but very well documented and Manjaro forum is very newbie friendly
    http://manjaro.org/

Manjaro is a rolling release like Arch which means there is no need to upgrade OS/reinstall after x months, the trade off is that it can be a bit unstable. To remedy that Manjaro holds back on Arch updates so you don't get the bleeding edge as in Arch but the system would be more stable.

Edited:server down for maintenance atm but download button works.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; March 28th, 2014 at 10:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Odd I don't remember anything about rpmfusion, but then again it's been so long ago since I actually got Fedora to work. Thanks for the info. =D

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Of the three distros mentioned in the OP, Lubuntu is probably closest to Ubuntu while keeping it light. I use it on one old machine.

Manjaro was mentioned -- I like it, and the XFCE version is pretty snappy. So is Salix, based on Slackware and also XFCE. So there you have it: Lubuntu of the Debian Dynasty, Manjaro of the Arch Archistocracy, Fedora of the Red Hat Regency, and Salix of the Slackware Sovereignty.

Beans

Yep Lubuntu or xfce for older or less performing systems.

Personally moved away from ubuntu based distros moved from Mint 15 KDE to SolydXK that has a great debian based Xfce version.
    The nice thing I like about Debian based is a rolling release so no more Clean installs every 6 months or borked dist-upgrades.

Been on the KDE version of SolydXK and it even comes in pretty light at 287mb to desktop and that is with all the bells & whistles.
    And Xfce is even lighter. Been doing updates based on Testing branch since Aug 2013 with zero issues and zero need to do a complete reinstall.

Linux Action Show just did a review on it giving it thumbs up.

And also there is a Ubuntu Xfce version? available?
    Good Luck sure you find something that fits your needs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast