Thread: Diagnosing email issue from command line

Beans

Diagnosing email issue from command line

I recently created an email account on a web hosting account. When I try to access the account from thunderbird, using either IMAP or SMTP, I get the error ""Login to server example.com failed." (example.com is not the actual server name; I'm only using it here for privacy.)

If I use the thunderbird addon TBTracer, the error is displayed as "2 NO [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Authentication failed."

As far as I can determine, the login credentials (server name, username, port, etc.) are correct.

Is there any documentation on how to diagnose this problem from the command line?
    Last edited by Dave_L; March 27th, 2014 at 06:59 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Diagnosing email issue from command line

I think you'd have better luck with this one by looking/posting on the TBTracer site. Thunderbird also has good support on the Mozillazine forum. On the other hand, by remaining here and being very patient ... Regards.
    Last edited by whitesmith; March 27th, 2014 at 07:13 PM.
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Beans

I don't know if it's a problem with thunderbird, or with the email account itself. Thats what I need to isolate.

What I'm trying to do is access the email account "manually", using basic commands, e.g. with telnet or ssh. Do you think either of those sites would help with that?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've thrown out some pretty stick stuff at the Mozillazine forum and received answers that surprised me in their detail. I hope the same works for you!
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Beans

Ok, I'll try that. Thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by Dave_L; March 27th, 2014 at 07:24 PM.

Beans

You can check the outgoing side at least accepts your mailbox name using telnet / EHLO - here's an actual session transcript (suitably anonymized)

Code:
    $ telnet smtp.example.com 587
    Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...
    Connected to smtp.example.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 mailhost.example.com ESMTP Postfix
     EHLO steeldriver@example.com
    250-mailhost.example.com
    250-PIPELINING
    250-SIZE 36700160
    250-ETRN
    250-STARTTLS
    250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
    250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN
    250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    250 8BITMIME
     MAIL From:<steeldriver@example.com>
    250 2.1.0 Ok
    Not sure about the incoming side (POP/LDAP)

Beans

Thanks. I tried the corresponding telnet commands, and got the same results that you posted. Then I tried AUTH LOGIN, and got "535 Incorrect authentication data".

I'll dig into it some more with that approach.

Beans

Ok, problem fixed. I think the issue was that the username had to include the "@example.com" and that had been omitted. But I kept changing settings, so I'm not sure.

Beans

Most third-party hosting services require the full email address with domain as a login.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Yes, I know that, and I thought that I had included the full email address in the relevant places.