Thread: How to isolate a KVM guest completely from the host?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question How to isolate a KVM guest completely from the host?

I have just recognised that my KVM dmz-guest connected to an isolated virtual network is always reachable from the KVM host. How can I completely isolate the guest from the host?

I have another KVM guest, a virtualised firewall which is bridged to physical interfaces and also to the virtual network.
    I want that my KVM host is accessing the dmz-guest through my virtualised firewall. How is that possible?

My next concern is that this feature is affecting my bridges? For example, has the KVM host access to my external network connected to Internet without passing through my virtualised firewall? I have not configured a IP-address for the KVM host on the bridged networks in etc/networking/interfaces.
    Last edited by Erik-NA; March 26th, 2014 at 05:29 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to isolate a KVM guest completely from the host?

No. The host will always be able to shutdown the VM, control PCI passthru, control storage passthru.

I wouldn't trust bridged network connections either. The OS doing the bridging MUST see all the traffic, right?
    Use PCI passthru to the NIC. http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/How_to...th_VT-d_in_KVM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for reply!
    The host is doing all the bridging yes. But the host has no IP address on the bridged interfaces where the host shall not have direct access. This works! But yes, the host OS is handling the connectivity on the NIC:s which is something you can questioning.

However, this problem is about the virtual networks. When doing a "route -print" I can confirm that the host have IP-access to these networks. I am not sure if I can set up firewall rules in virsh to block direct access without going through the default gateway. I have to look into that.

The other thing you are mentioning about security and PCI passthrough is interesting. If going that way I have to have a dedicated hardware to run my firewall on and then let my VM:s and the host to have separate NIC:s for each network, the VM:s have dedicated LAN access via PCI passthrough.
    Last edited by Erik-NA; March 29th, 2014 at 10:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, I have done some more digging.

I have found that it is possible to remove the route to the isolated networks on the host by using
    Code:
    route del -net <network> netmask <netmask> dev virbr<number>
    Next step is to make virsh/libvirt not to add the route in the hosts routing table when creating the virtual network.
    Last edited by Erik-NA; April 7th, 2014 at 11:16 AM.