Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I dilute my way to privacy?

Beans

Question Can I dilute my way to privacy?

I once found a FF add-on that gets cookies in large numbers to dilute the real connections, but didn't install as I don't know what sort of sites it would use. If they were random, it might accidently tap a site and make me look like quite bad and if it recycles from a long list, it leaves me to check them. Neat idea tho' and it gave me another.

My student never cleans her computer. If I copy her cookies and scan and clean 'em then place them in my machine, would it then be reasonably private? After net use I'd delete the cookies and re-paste the cleaned copy from her computer. Shes got a couple year's worth.

Just like to know that anyone who does monitor and sell my surfing habits wastes as much time as possible only to find nothing worthy. I want them to waste enough time that I'm not profitable and my mass of cookies get trashed rather than gone through as well as bringing only confusion if they are examined.

Sorry if it seems weird to want, but people haven't glass houses for the same reason. People buy curtains.I want some curtains.

Would such dilution help with privacy issues and what other ways might dilution be used?

Not a critical question but curious. Thanks for all replies.

Beans

Re: Can I dilute my way to privacy?

If you want to maximize privacy, consider the Tor Browser: https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

There's also a lot of documentation on that site about privacy.

The Tor Browser is also available from a PPA: https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/tor-browser
    Last edited by Dave_L; March 26th, 2014 at 12:54 PM.

Beans

I did check out the US Navy's Tor and its pretty good as speeds not important for me. I do get the feeling tho' I'd be a leech if I didn't take part. Reminds me of Torrent.

Probly I will use Tor when I get an unlimited line so I can be a part of the network, but I'm payin' by the Gig now. For now, I'll havta stick to camaflouge in plain sight for privacy. I want to see if I can create a false persona like an old lady or somethin'. Maybe I can bore them into leaving me alone. Probly not, but I've time to kill and need to study anyway. Wild life in Phnom Penh you know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Barkester,
    I do get the feeling tho' I'd be a leech if I didn't take part. Reminds me of Torrent.
    No need to feel a leech when you can contribute by running a node, running an exit node, deploying a bridge via Amazon or contributing in cash https://www.torproject.org/

Spreading the knowledge of how to surf anonymously and safely amongst your friends is often a good place to start.

Beans

Something about, "security through obscurity".
    Registered Linux User: 450747 Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you want to reduce your "propensity scoring" just get yourself into a load of debt and declare bankruptcy. Then you will be labeled as a "Junk Customer" and your spam will go down dramatically.

To me, being on one list "Has no money, don't bother." seems like a better strategy than being on everyone's list because of a huge cookie directory.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!

I know this is an Ubuntu site and all.... but maybe TAILS is the distro for you

Beans

I actually like the Bankruptsy idea. Not sure how to work it in but I like a challenge.

Tails? Never heard. Definitally check it out. Like to play with different OSs. (Don't worry Ubuntu, I'll always need a simple one so friends can just hop on). I'll Yandex (%&#@ Google) Tails up now.

Beans

Gnuap (Khmer for uselessly flacid disappointing failure). Tails has proprietary software made by strangers to me, is too big for what it supposadly does and adds nothing not already possible with the much smaller open-source Lucid Puppy. Just a nice package is all. Be a neat idea to set up Lupu with the Tor and accesories and put the set on Torrent as a better alternative fore people needing a preset-up package. Be alot smaller and faster. Thanks for tryin'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Is this the sort of thing that concerns you? https://www.schneier.com/blog/archiv...urveillan.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast