Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sad Day...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Sad Day...

is 8 as fast as xp with classic shell?

Kubutnu is faster than XP but half of my stuff won't work. so i am looking for alternative options...
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    is 8 as fast as xp with classic shell?

Kubutnu is faster than XP but half of my stuff won't work. so i am looking for alternative options...
    depends on on the hardware
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    xp with classic shell?
    what the XXX is classic shell???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

a program for windows 8 that gives it back the start menu...
    Last edited by craig10x; April 11th, 2014 at 06:17 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sipirilin View Post
    +1 for Windows 8 with Classic Shell. My computer "boots" up very quickly. I don't care if people call that cheating, the fact is that I can access my computer quickly.

I started using Ubuntu as my primary OS when Breezy was current (2006 I think). I stopped using Linux as my main OS for several reasons:

1. Ubuntu wouldn't boot out of the box on my HP laptop. I was later on able to resolve this issue by adding stuff to grub2, but by the time I had time to to that I was already comfortable using Windows again. Windows came with the computer and worked out of the box.

2. In my job everyone uses Windows in Spanish. For me to help people it's easier for me if I have the same OS as them and can read things out.

3. I'm a software developer and I need to be sure that the software looks ok on Windows based machines, because the users are Windows users

4. I didn't like the Dash in Ubuntu. I'd rather have something simple like a start menu.

5. Ssh is unreliable in nautilus. This is a dealbreaker for me as I need a good ssh client to do my job. If this worked properly then Linux would be much more useful for me.

6. Webcams are a bit buggy

7. I think the people in charge need to do more to listen to the wishes of the community. There needs to be a system in place for people to express their opinions, and the people in charge need to prove that they are listening to peoples opinions, and making changes to appease the views of the community. Right now I don't see thoat.

Recently I have been dabbling with Xubuntu, MATE and Puppy and may go back to Linux, but I'm not going to go back to Ubuntu until the dash is replaced with something better.

I do hope that Ubuntu can change course and start satisfying users again. I'm waiting patiently for that moment. Make it nice again please.
    1. I am now writing from a hp notebook running ubuntu 13.10, I have also installed lubuntu on my roommate's 8 year old hp laptop which boots in 4 seconds (no kidding, he says it is faster than him typing his log in password), I also had put Ubuntu on my dad's old hp laptop. So you are unlucky enough to get incompatible hardware.

I find it actually very amazing that linux distros work so well on such a wide range of hardware WITHOUT OEM support, whereas Windows can work rather badly even though the OEMs are supposed to have tested and optimized it for their machines. Case in point: this machine I am now typing on, when it was on Windows 7 home the touchpad barely worked and scrolling was horrible, there were complaints all over hp's site. The advice was to get a usb mouse. How is that possible that hp got away by selling a defective product while the defect is so obvious that you can detect it by just using it for a minute? On Ubuntu it is not great but is still working a lot more consistently than on Windows7.

6. All webcams, whether built in or usb, work out of the box for me. At work I sometimes booted Ubuntu off an external hd, since my computer had no webcam I just grabbed my colleague's, I had no idea what brand it was and didn't care, plugged in and just worked, with Windows it doesn't work 'out of the box you have to install driver from a mini cd.

4,7. The dash is the best and many of us likes it. None other desk top is as productive and powerful, it is a killer feature and way ahead of the 'start menu' IMO. Moreover Your own example proves the point that you do have a lot of choices, how many DEs can you choose for Windows? Exactly one, so be happy with your choices and quit trying to take OURS away.

BTW, when did MS listen to you? You pay quite a bit for it too.

5. I use ssh in the terminal.

2, 3 It is not Linux's fault that you work for people who subscribe to the MS cartel, get another job if that is a problem.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; April 10th, 2014 at 07:48 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    1. I am now writing from a hp notebook running ubuntu 13.10, I have also installed lubuntu on my roommate's 8 year old hp laptop which boots in 4 seconds (no kidding, he says it is faster than him typing his log in password), I also had put Ubuntu on my dad's old hp laptop. So you are unlucky enough to get incompatible hardware.

I find it actually very amazing that linux distros work so well on such a wide range of hardware WITHOUT OEM support, whereas Windows can work rather badly even though the OEMs are supposed to have tested and optimized it for their machines. Case in point: this machine I am now typing on, when it was on Windows 7 home the touchpad barely worked and scrolling was horrible, there were complaints all over hp's site. The advice was to get a usb mouse. How is that possible that hp got away by selling a defective product while the defect is so obvious that you can detect it by just using it for a minute? On Ubuntu it is not great but is still working a lot more consistently than on Windows7.

6. All webcams, whether built in or usb, work out of the box for me. At work I sometimes booted Ubuntu off an external hd, since my computer had no webcam I just grabbed my colleague's, I had no idea what brand it was and didn't care, plugged in and just worked, with Windows it doesn't work 'out of the box you have to install driver from a mini cd.

4,7. The dash is the best and many of us likes it. None other desk top is as productive and powerful, it is a killer feature and way ahead of the 'start menu' IMO. Moreover Your own example proves the point that you do have a lot of choices, how many DEs can you choose for Windows? Exactly one, so be happy with your choices and quit trying to take OURS away.

BTW, when did MS listen to you? You pay quite a bit for it too.

5. I use ssh in the terminal.

2, 3 It is not Linux's fault that you work for people who subscribe to the MS cartel, get another job if that is a problem.

This is the problem, I'm quite positive the OP doesn't care it worked for you, I'm even more positive he cares that it works for him. Linux is a little bit hit and miss it is not perfect, it has however gotten ALOT better and will continue to get better. Pointing out it worked for you creates a pointless point.

Beans

Pointing out it worked for you creates a pointless point.
    How? Why?

There is no need for replys like that, It can scare novices to Linux away because as it stands now some of the linux community can seem arrogant. I have seen novices to Linux called stupid because they did not know how to use terminal.

Is that the image Linux wants to project? If it is BAN ME NOW and delete my account please.
    If Linux plays its cards right it can get millions of new users in the next 12 months.

Give positive feed back, If somebody makes a mistake guide them, DO NOT jump on them. Explain stuff in detail, most novices have no idea what
    sudo apt-get update means let alone where to type it.

Remember. Windows = Hey look at me I can use a mouse.
    My PC came with Win7 preinstalled I have taken that hard drive out and put a new 1 in for Kubuntu, Why? Because I want to learn how to do things with my PC not just point n click, Teach me.

Is this the same Windows 7 that hosed my computer during a Windows Update last year?
    And Linux has never done this? To anybody?Ever?
    Its code its transmitted via the net stuff happens.
    Well I can tell you it has done it to me.
    Last edited by WogBoy; April 11th, 2014 at 01:46 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mJayk View Post
    Linux is a little bit hit and miss it is not perfect..
    I am yet to see or hear of an OS which I can call perfect or even 'nearly' perfect. And I am excluding none I know of - not even Mac OS on its own dedicated hardware (its major flaw is its restrictions).

Right now I am downloading drivers for Win7 64 bit Service Pack 1 installed fresh this morning on a Lenovo laptop (B590) with Intel 2020M processor, BCM43142 wifi card and RTL8168 ethernet card. It was shocking to me that the default installation didn't even have the Ethernet driver for an old card like RTL8168!

Checked Device manager and turned out it had no drivers at all apart from the basic ones that are necessary to give you a 'Workable' GUI.

Fortunately, I have Xubuntu 13.10 installed on a portable HDD (WD My Passport Ultra - 1TB) in Live mode. Booted in seconds, installed the 'wl' driver from the iso itself and got the wifi working (ethernet was already working, but didn't have a cable outlet nearby).

So far, the total download of only 'Necessary' drivers has gone above 1GB, fortunately, the wifi is working flawlessly and is giving me as much speed as possible with our connection plan (130 KB/s net download speed).

If I had to install Xubuntu on this laptop, everything is already working perfectly. With Win 7, I already know I am going to get complains about 'slow speed' and god knows what not after a few months if not just a few weeks.

I am installing Win7 on it only because it is an Office laptop, and the people who are going to use it would want it anyway, regardless of how big a pain in the background it is going to be compared to Xubuntu.
    -------------------------------

Linux, not just Ubuntu, works on most hardware without such hassles that I have to go through almost everytime I install Windows (any version) on a hardware. We call it efficiency.

And it manages to do so with almost NO support from the hardware manufacturers - I consider it a 'Miracle'.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Very sad but at least you choose windows 7

Beans

Sorry if I didn't read your entire post, but really, why don't you try other distributions too? Maybe Debian Stable will suit your well-polished needs. Honestly, I've had too many BSODs with Windows XP, Vista and 7 to go back to them again.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234