Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sad Day...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Sad day...

Windows 8 boots faster than windows 7, and than ubuntu sadly... but I like ubuntu, I have a triple boot with windows 8.1, ubuntu 13.10 and centos 6.5, and I prefer ubuntu, Im posting here only to wish you good luck, and to tell you that you can give windows 8 another chance, Its ugly but it performs better than it seems.
    Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by HDave View Post
    By then hopefully MS Office, Adobe Lightroom and CS, and my other "Desktop" apps will all be running in a browser....
    Really, instead of MS Office you can use LibreOffice or OpenOffice, they are as good as MS Office and support many kinds of documents.

MS Office already runs in a browser, with Microsoft Word web app in OneDrive. You can also use Google doc in the Drive.

A good alternative to Adobe ligthroom is LightZone it's free and open-source on MS/MAc/Linux and does the job. (http://lifehacker.com/lightzone-is-a...1445640040/all)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lancro View Post
    Windows 8 boots faster than windows 7, and than ubuntu sadly... but I like ubuntu, I have a triple boot with windows 8.1, ubuntu 13.10 and centos 6.5, and I prefer ubuntu, Im posting here only to wish you good luck, and to tell you that you can give windows 8 another chance, Its ugly but it performs better than it seems.
    Because Win8 cheats by actually suspending instead of shutting down, win7 does not boot faster than Ubuntu. When you dual boot with Win it is likely to be skew beceause ubuntu likely controls grub and it has to find all the oses at boot but win doesn't have to. Also win loads the desktop before it is ready to use so it gives the impression of booting faster.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; March 30th, 2014 at 12:42 AM.

Beans

Re: Back to Windows

I remember when I tried for the first time Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid... I couldn't to install the ati driver for my graphic card, my way of thinking was united to windows experience, so after many attempts with angrily, I had surrendered. Then, months later, I tryed again with Jaunty and now I love Linux and open source.
    HDave is true what he says, we have to admit, there is a gap between Ubuntu (and other linux distro) and Windows. First of all, availability of driver for hardware, especially for things like printer and scanners, and then the others do not make life easy (see Flash player, Silverlight). So I know everything, I continue to use Ubuntu and IMO Linux in some case for some people (with the correct distro like ubuntu or mint) is the easy way (for example, install a program from software center is a walk).
    Windows 7 is a very good OS, but like windows system has more problems. The programs that people download and install from internet often install also a bar or adware, the old ntfs filesystem needs defragmentation care and other things.
    To make a very short story, I stay with ubuntu and Linux
    But HDave, let me tell you that you're always welcome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Because Win8 cheats by actually suspending instead of shutting down, win7 does not boot faster than Ubuntu. When you dual boot with Win it is likely to be skew beceause ubuntu likely controls grub and it has to find all the oses at boot but win doesn't have to. Also win loads the desktop before it is ready to use so it gives the impression of booting faster.
    I have the suspend option off, if not I wouldnt be able to acces the NTFS partitions from ubuntu.
    Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lancro View Post
    I have the suspend option off, if not I wouldnt be able to acces the NTFS partitions from ubuntu.
    My 13.10 boots in 5-6 secs (without dual booting with other os) and may be 10 secs with Fedora on the partition, so how fast do you need? Besides, faster boot != faster performance after boot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by geniaccio View Post
    HDave is true what he says, we have to admit, there is a gap between Ubuntu (and other linux distro) and Windows. First of all, availability of driver for hardware, especially for things like printer and scanners, and then the others do not make life easy (see Flash player, Silverlight).
    wrogn example. drivers do not represent the gap between OS, but the fact that manufacturers didn't feet like it was necessary for them to provide (good) linux drivers for their hardware. it is a gap between drivers not os. and as more stuff moves into mobile people will likely want to have a printer workign wiht their Android phone just as well as it does with windows. which might add some pressure to get the linux drivers out as well.

there are linux friendly companies that will provide good drivers such as Intel, HP, AMD is trying, Nvidia is helping...

flash is dying.

the biggets problem right now are probably certain programs with no linux alternatives available. such as games or for exmaple banking software i use.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    wrogn example. drivers do not represent the gap between OS
    I totally agree with this. Maybe I was just lucky, but other than a fakeraid I struggled with once, I haven't had a driver problem with Ubuntu since 12.04. Sleep & hibernate rarely worked, but driver issues were not a problem for me anyway...much better than Windows where you have to install a bunch of drivers by hand.

@Tar_Ni - You can't run OpenOffice if the people you work and collaborate with (e.g. customers, partners, and suppliers) are running MS Office. The advertised OO convertors simply don't work for anything other than trivial spreadsheets and word documents.

Beans

I have only seen dual-boot mentioned once. Why isn't dual-booting an option for you? It gives you the best of both worlds, the stability of Linux and the compatibility of Windows. I dual-boot both Windows and Linux just fine. I let grub handle the boot loader for both. I can easily switch default boot options if I need to.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    My 13.10 boots in 5-6 secs (without dual booting with other os) and may be 10 secs with Fedora on the partition, so how fast do you need? Besides, faster boot != faster performance after boot.
    +1

Get to office turn PC on, make coffee go back to desk. As long as my PC is ready by the time I've done that it is fast enough booting for me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast