Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: can't boot into ubuntu, stuck at boot menu

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Beans
    13

    can't boot into ubuntu, stuck at boot menu

    Hi all, I am having trouble booting into my ubuntu installation. Details are at:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/7082816

    I have a Samsung laptop that was reformatted before I installed ubuntu via USB stick. When I turn the computer on it appears to restart 1x before loading up the boot menu. It the shows 1) windows boot manager 2) windows boot manager 3) SATA CD. I do not have windows installed. I do not see an option for the SATA HD where i installed ubuntu. If I look at the BIOS, the SATA HD does show up. If i select any of the 3 options it flashes black and then goes back to this menu. If i hit ESC it reboots and I end up at this boot menu again.

    I have disabled Fast BIOS, disabled Secure Boot and OS mode selection is UEFI OS.

    Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Beans
    349

    Re: can't boot into ubuntu, stuck at boot menu

    There's a certain way you have to wipe windows off to fully get all the files off becaue MS does not want people to start using the much superior Linux.

    I'm not sure how to do it but a simple search of "wipe windows" or something like that you should find something.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Beans
    13

    Re: can't boot into ubuntu, stuck at boot menu

    the weird thing is that it worked after a certain # of reboots 1x and then i used it and saved a bunch of stuff on it. now i rebooted again and can't remember what i did to get into ubuntu and as a result can't access my files...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    124

    Re: can't boot into ubuntu, stuck at boot menu

    Quote Originally Posted by chris189 View Post
    the weird thing is that it worked after a certain # of reboots 1x and then i used it and saved a bunch of stuff on it. now i rebooted again and can't remember what i did to get into ubuntu and as a result can't access my files...
    So, what is the status now? Can boot, but not access your files, or cannot boot at all? Use the following procedure to try different boot configurations:

    Boot from your live CD. Choose "Try Ubuntu". You will get to a desktop. Open a terminal and type:

    Code:
    sudo mount <root partition> /mnt
    sudo mount /boot /mnt/boot     (only if boot loader is in a separate partition)
    sudo mount --bind -t proc /proc /mnt/proc
    sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    chroot /mnt
    grub-install
    where <root partition> is your "/" filesystem (i.e. /dev/sda7)
    grub-install will overwrite mbr and should remove any windows leftovers.
    Lastly type:

    Code:
    grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg (or wherever is your grub.cfg)
    Check the terminal output for any windows partitions. Clean them up and reboot.

    HTH,
    Nikos

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Beans
    13

    Re: can't boot into ubuntu, stuck at boot menu

    i can boot into the BIOS and boot menu (where I see the 2 windows boot manager options) but i cannot get into grub/ubuntu. will try your suggestions. thanks.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: can't boot into ubuntu, stuck at boot menu

    You have installed Ubuntu in BIOS/CSM/Legacy boot mode.
    You have no UEFI. So turn off UEFI or turn on BIOS boot mode in UEFI/BIOS menu.
    I do not think you are getting Windows boot menu as you have no Windows, but are getting a UEFI type menu.

    Other have post menus like these.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Oct 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.







  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Beans
    13

    Re: can't boot into ubuntu, stuck at boot menu

    when i chose CSM only in the BIOS the boot menu came up again but it was only for the SATA CD drive. no other options. did i miss something? thanks

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: can't boot into ubuntu, stuck at boot menu

    What boot menu? UEFI/BIOS?
    And booting a hard drive is how BIOS boots. If several drives you then have to choose which drive to boot from.

    Since you have only one install, you will not get grub menu unless you hold shift key (some with UEFI need escape key) until menu appears.

    And if just getting blank screen in BIOS boot mode you may need to bring up grub menu and add nomodeset or other boot parameters.
    How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2 - both BIOS liveCD & grub first boot ( also UEFI with grub)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
    BIOS screens shown
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Oct 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.







  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Beans
    13

    Re: can't boot into ubuntu, stuck at boot menu

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    You have installed Ubuntu in BIOS/CSM/Legacy boot mode.
    You have no UEFI. So turn off UEFI or turn on BIOS boot mode in UEFI/BIOS menu.
    I do not think you are getting Windows boot menu as you have no Windows, but are getting a UEFI type menu.

    Other have post menus like these.
    exactly, my menu is like the second image you posted, the UEFI/CSM one. so I am unable to get into the BIOS per se still. I tried UEFI OS only, CSM OS only, and UEFI and CSM OS and still getting stuck at the Boot Menu.

    the title of my menu is "Phoenix SecureCore Tiano Setup"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Beans
    13

    Re: can't boot into ubuntu, stuck at boot menu

    Quote Originally Posted by nibal View Post
    So, what is the status now? Can boot, but not access your files, or cannot boot at all? Use the following procedure to try different boot configurations:

    Boot from your live CD. Choose "Try Ubuntu". You will get to a desktop. Open a terminal and type:

    Code:
    sudo mount <root partition> /mnt
    sudo mount /boot /mnt/boot     (only if boot loader is in a separate partition)
    sudo mount --bind -t proc /proc /mnt/proc
    sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    chroot /mnt
    grub-install
    where <root partition> is your "/" filesystem (i.e. /dev/sda7)
    grub-install will overwrite mbr and should remove any windows leftovers.
    Lastly type:

    Code:
    grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg (or wherever is your grub.cfg)
    Check the terminal output for any windows partitions. Clean them up and reboot.

    HTH,
    Nikos
    i think my root partition is /dev/sda1 and i went through the step accodingly. still have the same error. any ideas? does the fact when i restart it gets to the samsung logo and then automatically reboots again before going to boot menu provide any additional debug information? thx.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •