Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need opinions about processors

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Need opinions about processors

Thanks for the advice, guys. It was completely the opposite of the advice I expected.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Thanks for the advice, guys. It was completely the opposite of the advice I expected.
    Just curious what route you are taking, Intel and Nvidia or AMD all the way? I can't say much about Intel or Nvidia as the latest Intel CPU I own is a Core2Duo LGA775. Last time I bought Nvidia was a GTS 250.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

No problem. Let us know if you have any more questions, and let us know what you finally decide to do!
    I only use LTS releases, and mostly for servers.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dbass81 View Post
    Just curious what route you are taking, Intel and Nvidia or AMD all the way? I can't say much about Intel or Nvidia as the latest Intel CPU I own is a Core2Duo LGA775. Last time I bought Nvidia was a GTS 250.
    I actually have no idea yet. I'm not going to have the cash for a while, maybe not until next year. I used to be into building PCs, but it's been a few years. Right now, I'm just trying to re-acclimate myself so I can keep up with what is coming between now and when I'm ready. Whatever I end up with will be future equivalent hardware to what I'm looking at right now. Right now, I'm leaning toward whatever is a high end i5 at that time, and whatever is the equivalent of a geforce GTX 780. But I'm definitely not set on that, and there's always a chance that AMD will come out with something by then that amazes me. This computer probably won't primarily be running Linux, so I'm not extremely concerned about compatibility there. But there's always the chance that SteamOS really picks up and gets a lot of support, so I guess I should keep that possibility in mind.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

make a new thread in a year, there is a chance amd will pull a rabbit out of a hat and be worth considering for a gaming cpu by then and there will be better GPUs out as well and a 780 may not handle next years games maxed out you may want a GTX 980 or GTX 880 TI which don't exist yet
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

I actually have no idea yet. I'm not going to have the cash for a while, maybe not until next year. I used to be into building PCs, but it's been a few years. Right now, I'm just trying to re-acclimate myself so I can keep up with what is coming between now and when I'm ready. Whatever I end up with will be future equivalent hardware to what I'm looking at right now. Right now, I'm leaning toward whatever is a high end i5 at that time, and whatever is the equivalent of a geforce GTX 780. But I'm definitely not set on that, and there's always a chance that AMD will come out with something by then that amazes me. This computer probably won't primarily be running Linux, so I'm not extremely concerned about compatibility there. But there's always the chance that SteamOS really picks up and gets a lot of support, so I guess I should keep that possibility in mind.
    I can't say much for Nvidia, but I bought a R9 270X for under $200 and it runs all my games at 1440x900 ultra settings. I don't need to run games at 1080p to play them. I also bought a FX-4300 CPU and 970 chipset Crossfire motherboard for $200 combined. That's not bad $400 for a gaming PC. I looked at Intel's latest i7 CPU and it was over $300. That seems expensive to me just for a CPU to play PC games. Most of the time you want a CPU like that for other applications, such as video encoding, which I don't need.
    Last edited by dbass81; March 26th, 2014 at 03:11 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

[QUOTE=forrestcupp;12967827Without regard for Linux compatibility, do you think high end Radeon cards are better than high end nvidia cards?[/QUOTE]
    I knew that was coming
    Sometimes I think we(Me Included) run an agenda against NVidia due to a recent video.
    (We all know which one)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by runrickus View Post
    I knew that was coming
    Sometimes I think we(Me Included) run an agenda against NVidia due to a recent video.
    (We all know which one)
    I don't keep up with the latest video card trends, what is this video you are referring to?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    make a new thread in a year, there is a chance amd will pull a rabbit out of a hat and be worth considering for a gaming cpu by then and there will be better GPUs out as well and a 780 may not handle next years games maxed out you may want a GTX 980 or GTX 880 TI which don't exist yet
    What you said about AMD is why I'm keeping the door open for them. I used to be an AMD guy back in the K6 to Athlon II days. But right now, it seems like their CPUs consume significantly more power, and come close, but can't quite keep up with Intel. But on the other hand, they are significantly less expensive, and maybe a better value of power output per dollar. I'll probably still end up with whatever is the high end i5, but I'm definitely keeping an open mind in case they do pull that rabbit out of the hat.

As for the GPU, you're definitely right. I'm not actually planning for a GTX 780. I'm just acclimating myself to the current scene so that I can get back into keeping up with things. I'm just figuring on getting whatever is the future equivalent of what the GTX 780 is right now (or R9 290). So that could be a GTX 880 or 980, and if I do end up with an AMD CPU, I'll go with whatever their latest GPU is, too. But I appreciate everyone's help in getting me back up to speed. I have a lot more studying up to do, but I'm getting there.

And I know how things go, but I honestly wasn't trying to start an Intel vs. AMD flame war. I was legitimately wanting people's opinions just because it's been a while since I've been in the computer building scene, and my mind is open to all options. I honestly thought everyone was going to tell me to go with the i7 because it's MOAR POWER!!!1!

Beans

What you said about AMD is why I'm keeping the door open for them. I used to be an AMD guy back in the K6 to Athlon II days. But right now, it seems like their CPUs consume significantly more power, and come close, but can't quite keep up with Intel. But on the other hand, they are significantly less expensive, and maybe a better value of power output per dollar. I'll probably still end up with whatever is the high end i5, but I'm definitely keeping an open mind in case they do pull that rabbit out of the hat.

As for the GPU, you're definitely right. I'm not actually planning for a GTX 780. I'm just acclimating myself to the current scene so that I can get back into keeping up with things. I'm just figuring on getting whatever is the future equivalent of what the GTX 780 is right now (or R9 290). So that could be a GTX 880 or 980, and if I do end up with an AMD CPU, I'll go with whatever their latest GPU is, too. But I appreciate everyone's help in getting me back up to speed. I have a lot more studying up to do, but I'm getting there.

And I know how things go, but I honestly wasn't trying to start an Intel vs. AMD flame war. I was legitimately wanting people's opinions just because it's been a while since I've been in the computer building scene, and my mind is open to all options. I honestly thought everyone was going to tell me to go with the i7 because it's MOAR POWER!!!1!
    Main reason I chose AMD over Intel is because of price. People are saying AMD is behind in the CPU department, but they still have a reasonable price. As far as OSes go, I dual-boot both Debian and Windows 7. You almost need Windows for a gaming PC. You could probably get away with WINE in Linux for gaming, but some games still won't work 100%. Also, there isn't a huge amount of native Linux games available. Just something for you to consider...
    Last edited by dbass81; March 26th, 2014 at 02:49 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast