Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very laggy desktop

Beans

Very laggy desktop

Upgraded to 14.04 and everything appears to have gone well, but the desktop is now very laggy with stuttering if I move windows around or maximize/close

Games are down to just 1fps.

If I switch to the proprietary driver, the problem goes away, however switching back to the open driver brings the problems back again.

I have tried updating to the latest open driver but it has had no affect.

This was not a problem on 13.10 which ran butter smooth.

System specs

Intel E8400 core 2 duo
    4 GB RAM
    AMD 5870 1GB

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Very laggy desktop

Ubuntu now uses Gallium llvmpipe as a fallback mode for graphic adapters that cannot give hardware accelerated 3D graphics. We also get Gallium llvmpipe when we run Recovery mode>Resume. It does give a slower than expected user experience.

Not only that but there has been a change to the way windows enlarge. We no longer get that orange preview but the window should enlarge in step with the movement of the mouse. On some systems this movement may show as laggy. Especially if system resources are already being used extensively.

You do say that this goes away when you switch to proprietary video driver. It is clearly is an issue with the open source driver and not with Ubuntu Trusty Tahr.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Which OS driver is being used? For some Intel integrated graphics chips the software Gallium driver is loaded with lvmpipe instead of the proper intel hardware driver. I had this issue on an Atom powered netbook. I uninstalled the nouveau package and it loaded up the intel driver on the next reboot.
    See this (old) bug for some background https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1074779
    Registered Linux User #407403

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Maybe you need to update your graphics driver to fit 14.04
    Last edited by james114; March 26th, 2014 at 11:38 AM.
    OS: Ubuntu 12.04 / Specification: Xeon 3210 with 8 GB DDR333
    My Bible Project (PHP)

Beans

Graphics driver is updated to the latest open source using oibaf's PPA here

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...aphics-Drivers

Desktop remains very laggy and games will not play.

3d acceleration on the desktop has apparently been disabled.

No issues with catalyst driver, so perhaps it is an open source driver issue? Graphics card is AMD HD5870 1GB and has had no issues playing games until now.

Very strange Canonical would release a distribution with such poor performance by default.

EDIT: I remember there was an error when upgrading to 14.04 and had to manually force it to finish. I wonder if a config file got corrupted somewhere?

Fresh install might be the solution?
    Last edited by Lucetius; March 26th, 2014 at 09:55 AM.

Beans

Hi. I am with this problem since Ubuntu 13.04 and it is related to some conflicts between graphic card and open source default driver, that I don't fully understand. As a solution, as soon as I install Ubuntu, I move to the proprietary driver. You can try a fresh install but the solution is to NOT use default video driver, IMO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Dunno if this applies in this instance, but... I did a clean install using yesterday's 14.04 daily, on Intel video. Several previous installs were a breeze, but this time I had to use "nomodeset" to persude the install image to boot correctly. The install was normal after that. I spent the rest of the day wondering why things were sluggish. Checked "Details" and saw it was on the Gallium driver. I'd forgotten to remove "nomodeset" from grub's config. Did that, ran update-grub, rebooted, and all was as it should be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Try these commands and let's see what you got
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep render
    and
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA & sudo lshw -C video
    Remember to type in your password when asked for
    Here is my output for comparison :
    [1] 8946
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV730 XT [Radeon HD 4670]
    [sudo] password for xxxx:
    *-display
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: RV730 XT [Radeon HD 4670]
    vendor: Hynix Semiconductor (Hyundai Electronics)
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
    version: 00
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
    configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
    resources: irq:44 memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:fe9f0000-fe9fffff ioport:c000(size=256) memory:fe9c0000-fe9dffff
    [1]+ Done lspci | grep --color=auto VGA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

This is the proper open source driver for that series I believe... and everything (including ccsm gizzmos) are working. Gallium does not always designate llvmpipe.

Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cedar [Radeon HD 5000/6000/7350/8350 Series]
    01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cedar HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5400/6300 Series]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetius View Post

System specs

Intel E8400 core 2 duo
    4 GB RAM
    AMD 5870 1GB
    Is that an Intel MoBo? If so , what is the form factor (number). The firmware has a quirky setting in BIOS on some of the DQ series. Sounds like you know what you are doing . I would say check BIOS settings once again and take a look around. I had a problem with my AMD 5450 card on an Intel MoBo so I put in a nVidia card and works great.

That would not be a driver problem but a problem with the way the BIOS video settings are set up. I am not sure if a BIOS upgrade would help because I haven't tried that yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast