Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arduino

Beans

Arduino

Hello to all that read this tread. I have been using ubuntu 9.10 for awhile and decided to move up a couple of notches. Tried ubuntu 13.10 didn't like it, was having trouble with it so I dropped back to ubuntu 12.04. I feel O.K. with it so I well stay with this for a while.
    Now my true problem. Got an Arduino from e-Bay, best I can figure it's a clone UNO R3 (1320 Amegaa8a-pu). I am trying to use the Arduino programmer that is in ubuntu 12.04, but I can not get a sketch loaded up on it (UNO). I am sure the arduino is working and came with a simple 1 second on/off blinking program loaded on it.
    I have never used the terminal before but I foundly got it to work did some things to get the build in arduino progammer on it. So that is where I stand at this time.I would like to start progamming as I have an ideal on how it is done but I need alot of help to get started........ Thank you for listening to me Pat

squakie is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Confused and dazed, not sure where to begin

I don't know if this applies or not, but I did find this imbedded in a web thread:

Code:
    Next step is to install dfu-programmer, the tool to reset the firmware for Atmega16U2, on your system. Download and install the dfu-programmer 0.6.2. (This version is confirmed to support Atmega16U2). Or you can try using apt-get but it did not give me the correct version.

Beans

Re: Confused and dazed, not sure where to begin

I've managed to get my Arduino working on Ubuntu 12 without any major hitches. I can recommend following the tutorial at http://www.ladyada.net/learn/arduino/lesson0.html if you haven't already. This bit is particularly useful: http://www.ladyada.net/learn/arduino/lesson0-lin.html

Still, it sounds like you're having the same problem I did, which is that while Ubuntu recognises the Arduino as a USB device, you possibly don't have permission to read and write to it. Firstly, follow Lady Ada's instructions above to locate the device:
    Code:
    ls /dev/ttyUSB*
    Now, personally I found that this returned no results - turned out my Arduino was registering at /dev/ttyACM0 (Can anyone else explain why this might be the case?)

Anyway, once you've located it, change the permissions. If memory serves, then this did the trick:
    Code:
    sudo chmod 666 /dev/ttyACM0
    Of course, remember to substitute the actual location of your Arduino in place of ttyACM0! Hopefully, you should now find that the Arduino programmer recognises your device!

Beans

Re: Arduino

Hello again, and Thank both of you two for your replies. squakie: I did not try your idea as of yet. ralph-beeby: Been there (http://www.ladyada.net/learn/arduino/lesson0.html )and tried that one still did not work.
    On the sketch pad where the sketch is when I try running the Blinking program it saids: "Serial port 'Com1' not found. Did you select the right one from the Tool > Serial Port menu"
    Now when I go into Tools, it does not allow it to selected, it is the only one on the listing of tools that does that.
    So anyway not knowing what else to do I totally re-done ubunt - uninstall of ubuntu 12.04 then installed the OS again. Did not do any good but tried it anyway.............Pat

Beans

"com 1" is Windows serial port nomenclature. On Linux, the default serial port should be /dev/ttys0. As ralph-beeby said, the arduino should create a port called /dev/ttyACM0 or sometimes /dev/ttyACM1. How did you install the arduino software? It should install just through the software center.

I've not had any problems using the Arduino with Ubuntu, Debian, or Arch Linux, with one exception; my son's Lubuntu laptop has a lot of trouble creating a port for his Arduino Leonardo. He gets a bunch of errors about a USB device not being recognized or something similar and has to fiddle with it a lot to make it work.

If you plug in the arduino, then check the output of this command:

Code:
    dmesg|tail
    You should see some kind of message about it finding a USB device and creating a port for it. If you don't, post the output here.

Beans

lykwydchykyn: Thank you for the reply. I did down load from the Software Center and I just finished the termainal search with dmesg/tail. So now I think the port is ttyUSB0.
    If I was to code the command:
    sudo chmod 666 /dev/ttyUSB0

As ralph-beeb said to do would this fix the problem for me?

pat@pat:~$ dmesg|tail

[ 7383.010153] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdc] Asking for cache data failed
    [ 7383.010165] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
    [ 7383.146315] sdc:
    [ 7383.179177] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdc] Asking for cache data failed
    [ 7383.179188] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
    [ 7383.179196] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk
    [10339.399143] usb 2-1.2: USB disconnect, device number 8
    [10375.349139] usb 2-1.2: new full-speed USB device number 9 using ohci_hcd
    [10375.464331] ch341 2-1.2:1.0: ch341-uart converter detected
    [10375.500343] usb 2-1.2: ch341-uart converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    pat@pat:~$

And again I thank all you for your help............Pat
    Last edited by patsroom; March 26th, 2014 at 06:03 AM.

Beans

I haven’t used my UNO in a while but I think I remember that I needed to install arduino-core to get things working.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install arduino arduino-core
    Heres a link to the tutorial
    http://playground.arduino.cc/Linux/Ubuntu

Beans

J_Me Thank you for the reply too! When I tried to install arduino-core the computer say I had it already. So the only thing I could think of was to pound keys and see if I could stumble on to a fix. What I did was a long process. Seeing that I did not know where to stare I decided I had two problems One of the problems I am having at this time was: I do not know which broad (model) I have, the next problem was which programmer to select when in tools.

So at what I did at that point in time what I began selecting one of the models of broads, then choosing one after another programmer in tools and trying them one at a time.

The most common response I am getting is:

Binary sketch size 1010 bytes (of a30720 byte maximum)
    (depending on with board (of a 14336 byte maximum))
    avrdude: stk500_recvil: programmer is not responding

My arduino broad will reset twice during the attempted up load.
    When I tried the Arduino Ethernet the response I get is:

Wrong microcontroller found. Did you select the right board from the Tools > Board menu?
    Binary sketch size 1010 bytes (of a32256 byte maximum)
    avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA328P is 1E 95 OF
    Double check chip, or use -F to override the check.

There was also a timeout in one of the messages, but it was to long to type here. so that is where I stand at at this time.
    I first need to find what board I have, I think that would help with the first problem. as to the second one I just do not know.
    Thanks for again for all the help and for listening to my problem...........Pat
    Last edited by patsroom; March 27th, 2014 at 11:25 PM.

squakie is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you haven't alreadyy, try the info I posted earlier. You error message about wrong microcontroller found may be solved by this (it's what that thread's OP was having a problem with).

Also, what happens when you try the -F to force an override as show in the error output?

Beans

squakie: Hello again, O.K. I have save dfu-programmer and not sure if it is running, all I did was save fuction from the site. So that is somewhere on my computer now. As for the -F how would I use that, meaning where would I type it in at and how. Sorry about being real slow catching on to ubuntu as I have used it in the past as one would use windows. Going to the internet, listening to music and if the DVD player played watching a DVD.
    As for progaming and the likes it was hard to find the termial for me and I am trying to learn now. My grandchildren know more that I about computers, but can not help when needed, plus I feel as an idiot asking so many simple questions. But if I am going to learn I have to start somewhere as well as ask questions and being here at this fourm has been very nice. The people like you have been so helpful and understanding, and for that I do appreciate any and all help I have been getting.
    I am a old dog, but I should beable to learn a new trick now and then...............Pat

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast