Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: elementaryOS won't let me use my external keyboard

Beans

elementaryOS won't let me use my external keyboard

Hi guys,

I'm totally new to Linux and just installed elementary OS on my Laptop, but I have one problem:
    My external usb keyboard doesn't work. I'm typing with my laptop keyboard right now, which works fine. I searched around the internet and I found this lsusb command to check if my keyboard is being recognized by the system and it is! Here's the code (the bold entry is my keyboard):

Code:
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 003 Device 008: ID 05e3:0605 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB 2.0 Hub [ednet]
    Bus 003 Device 003: ID 04f2:b35f Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd 
    Bus 003 Device 009: ID 1bcf:0005 Sunplus Innovation Technology Inc. 
    Bus 003 Device 012: ID 04d9:a055 Holtek Semiconductor, Inc. 
    Bus 003 Device 011: ID 1058:1021 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. Elements 2TB

After that I ran over this xev command, but the results kind of confused me. There were two entries for every key input i did on my laptop keyboard and none but 2 keys on my external keyboard produced an entry: the menu key and the backspace key! I used this command: xev | sed -n 's/^.*state \([0-9].*\), keycode *\([0-9]\+\) *\(.*\), .*$/keycode \2 = \3, state = \1/p' and here are the results for the backspace key and the menu key:

Code:
    keycode 22 = (keysym 0xff08, BackSpace), state = 0x10keycode 22 = (keysym 0xff08, BackSpace), state = 0x10
    keycode 135 = (keysym 0xff67, Menu), state = 0x10
    keycode 135 = (keysym 0xff67, Menu), state = 0x10
    So my keyboard is recognized and two keys are 'working', but what about the rest?
    I tried other solutions I found on my research like unplugging/replugging the keyboard, having it unplugged while booting and then plugging it in, trying other usb ports... nothing solved my problem.

Unfortunately no one answered in the official elementary OS live chat, so I hope you guys can help me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: elementaryOS won't let me use my external keyboard

Hi noxit2, welcome to the Ubuntu forums.

I need a little info regarding your laptop, make and model, hardware specs. etc.

How new is your laptop and keyboard ?

Also, did you try to connect another usb keyboard to you laptop and what was the result ?

Does the usb ports work with other hardware, mouse, usb-stick, printers, etc. ?

How much equipment do you have connected to the usb ports ?

Lots of questions take your time.

Beans

Hey Stinger,

first of all: Thank you very much for your reply!

My Laptop is a HP Sleekbook 15 with an Intel i5 3317U CPU and a nVidia GeForce 630m graphics card. Beside that I'm trying to get a Sharkoon Tactix keyboard running. The laptop is 10 months old, the keyboard about half a year. Unfortunately I don't have another keyboard to try out, I'd have to buy another one which would be even more unfortunate.

I'm using a USB mouse on this very laptop right now and it works like a charm. I'm also using an external HDD which also didn't cause any problem, that's it with the USB devices (additionally, I have an external display connected via HDMI, although I don't think that this could be the source of the problem...?)! In my efforts to get the keyboard running I switched all of the ports for the devices and even tried to unplug all other devices except the keyboard but this didn't work out either... This forum is like my last resort

I think I should also add that the keyboard already didn't work when I was using elementary OS as a live system (the mouse and the HDD worked!) and I hoped that the problem would be solved by itself if I installed the OS properly.

I hope I was able to answer your questions to your content, I'd be happy to provide you with any information you need to help me solve my problem.

Thanks again!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Someone just posted that his new UEFI has a setting for USB ports like UEFI only. He changed that setting to auto.

My old BIOS also has settings for USB keyboard & mouse. While both Windows & Ubuntu would work without that setting, I have to turn it on for grub to have working keyboard.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Someone just posted that his new UEFI has a setting for USB ports like UEFI only. He changed that setting to auto.

My old BIOS also has settings for USB keyboard & mouse. While both Windows & Ubuntu would work without that setting, I have to turn it on for grub to have working keyboard.

Hi oldfred,

thank you for your reply.

I just checked my BIOS settings but didn't find a setting like you mentioned, only USB 3.0 support, which already was set to switch automatically to 2.0 when booting, so this probably isn't the source of my problem.

Additionally I should mention that the keyboard works fine in GRUB, i can perfectly chose to boot either Win8.1 or elementary OS with my keyboard, it just stops working when reaching the elementary OS log-in screen.

Beans
    Distro

Ok then.
    To sum it up. Your keyboard is working.
    There doesn't seem to be excessive power drain on the usb ports. But your hardware is quite new ( and has hybrid graphics )
    Have you tried the 14.04 development release, live version will do ? it could be that a newer kernel and x-server would solve the problem with you quite new hardware.
    It can be done in elementary too via the LTS Enablement Stack, I'll show you how if the if the 14.04 live image works for you.

Beans

Alright Stinger,

I think you are on the right track there, I'm on 14.04 live version right now and my keyboard works like a charm!

It would be really great if you'd show me how to get this to work on elementary as well, thanks!

Beans
    Distro

To install the Saucy hardware enablement packages in Precise ( the newest until Trusty is released ), please run the following command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-saucy xserver-xorg-lts-saucy libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-saucy
    Remember to reboot to activate the new kernel and x-server.
    LTS Enablement Stack page

But since you've got hybrid graphics you can try this instead if you dare ( I think you should be safe but I can't promise ):

NVIDIA systems:
    • Install the lts-saucy stack ("linux-generic-lts-saucy" and "xserver-xorg-lts-saucy" as I descibed above )
    • Make sure that no other NVIDIA driver is installed including bumblebee (keep the nvidia-common package).
    • sudo apt-get purge bumblebee-nvidia
    • Install nvidia-319 (or nvidia-319-updates) and nvidia-prime.( I can see that nvidia-331 is available in the repositories too maybe you would try that instead )
    • Reboot the system (restarting X won't be enough).

HybridGraphics page

Hope it works, unfortunately I can't try it myself
    Last edited by Stinger; March 27th, 2014 at 05:37 PM.

Beans

Wow, this worked out for me! You, dear sir, are my heroe of the week I only had to run the first command to install the hardware enablement packages, now my keyboard is working!

I guess I don't need to run the dual graphis drivers commands then? I didn't even install an NVIDIA driver before, so I'm not really sure if I have any driver for my dedicated graphics card. Should I install the drivers with your commands or was that simply an alternative if the installation of the hardware enablement packages wouldn't have been enough?

Anyway: Thank you! You just made me really happy

Beans
    Distro

Happy to have been of assistance

You don't need the drivers for hybrid graphics, but you could benefit on 3D performance I would think, but then again there could be issues I don't know of, the hybridgraphics page hasn't been updated to Saucy.

If you don't miss anything, there is no need for installing the packages. You know, "Never touch a running system"

Try runnig this command tells a lot about your graphics:
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA & sudo lshw -C video
    Remember to type in your password when asked for

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast