Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mac PowerPC Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Updates

Beans

Re: Mac PowerPC Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Updates

Quote Originally Posted by forumqa View Post
    I am in England and it is a G3 which were IBM not Intel.

Well i have a G5 and i could never install Ubuntu 12.04 as far as i could go was to the Black terminal where it asked to log in! i could never get the desktop, i wonder how could you do it in a G3!
    the only Distro i could install on it was Debian Wheezy 7.1 that runs great.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frank18 View Post
    Well i have a G5 and i could never install Ubuntu 12.04 as far as i could go was to the Black terminal where it asked to log in! i could never get the desktop, i wonder how could you do it in a G3!
    the only Distro i could install on it was Debian Wheezy 7.1 that runs great.
    I had to upgrade the RAM because Ubuntu 12.04 LTS had higher specifications. A YouTube video showed that it was quite easy to upgrade the RAM.

Beans

I had to upgrade the RAM because Ubuntu 12.04 LTS had higher specifications. A YouTube video showed that it was quite easy to upgrade the RAM.

Hi forrumga:how much ram do you have?.
    I have 1Gb ram.
    Please tell me which Iso did you use!.
    Tried to use A mini ISO.
    Also when you installed Ubuntu12.04 did you get the 64bit or 32bit lso?.
    Did you get a desktop right out of the box?.
    Now there is an ubuntu beta2 ppc available, check link bellow.
    I know on a regular Computer Ubuntu14.04beta1 works great,better then 12.04lts, now 14.04 ppc should be better on aple ppc then 12.04 ,if you happen to try it please report back how it went!,i would try it but i had bad luck with 12.04 so i installed Debian wheezy 7.1 and it gave me a litle work to set up sound,wireless,and to get video working on UTUBE still not very good but that's what i could get since ppc is not supported by flash player.

Also can you please post the instructions you followed to install Ubuntu, Thanks.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/14.04/beta-2/
    Last edited by frank18; March 31st, 2014 at 04:51 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Moved to Apple Users.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frank18 View Post
    Hi forrumga:how much ram do you have?.
    I have 1Gb ram.
    Please tell me which Iso did you use!.
    Tried to use A mini ISO.
    Also when you installed Ubuntu12.04 did you get the 64bit or 32bit lso?.
    Did you get a desktop right out of the box?.
    Now there is an ubuntu beta2 ppc available, check link bellow.
    I know on a regular Computer Ubuntu14.04beta1 works great,better then 12.04lts, now 14.04 ppc should be better on aple ppc then 12.04 ,if you happen to try it please report back how it went!,i would try it but i had bad luck with 12.04 so i installed Debian wheezy 7.1 and it gave me a litle work to set up sound,wireless,and to get video working on UTUBE still not very good but that's what i could get since ppc is not supported by flash player.

Also can you please post the instructions you followed to install Ubuntu, Thanks.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/14.04/beta-2/
    512mb RAM

I am not using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and have gone to using Debian because there was MyUnity app problem on the ppc, Unity without MyUnity app is not user friendly for customisation. I thought about using Lubuntu 13.10 because I was told it does not have Unity, though the problem was I could not put the image on a CD as the file size was bigger than the CD specification. Probably I used this when I was using Ubuntu:

"Desktop CD
    The desktop cd allows you to try Ubuntu without changing your computer at all, and at your option to install it permanently later. You will need at least 384MiB of RAM to install from this cd.
    There is one image available:
    Mac (PowerPC) and IBM-PPC (POWER5) desktop CD For Apple Macintosh G3, G4, and G5 computers, including iBooks and PowerBooks as well as IBM OpenPower machines."

32bit

D/T

Beans

512mb RAM

I am not using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and have gone to using Debian because there was MyUnity app problem on the ppc, Unity without MyUnity app is not user friendly for customisation. I thought about using Lubuntu 13.10 because I was told it does not have Unity, though the problem was I could not put the image on a CD as the file size was bigger than the CD specification. Probably I used this when I was using Ubuntu:

"Desktop CD
    The desktop cd allows you to try Ubuntu without changing your computer at all, and at your option to install it permanently later. You will need at least 384MiB of RAM to install from this cd.
    Mac (PowerPC) and IBM-PPC (POWER5) desktop CD For Apple Macintosh G3, G4, and G5 computers, including iBooks and PowerBooks as well as IBM OpenPower machines."

32bit

D/T
    Thanks But this was the Ubuntu PPC Iso that i tried to install that failed before i went with Debian Wheezy 7.1

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/12.04/release/

Beans

512mb RAM

"Desktop CD

32bit

D/T
    Thanks But this was the Ubuntu PPC Iso that i tried to install that failed before i went with Debian Wheezy 7.1

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/12.04/release/

This was the only way i could install Debian wheezy, also the same way i tried install Ubuntu 12.04,Because i couldn't install it from the Aple OPS since this Aple PPC was given to me and i had no Password to get Administer privileges and
    could not install software on it so my only solution was the Mini Iso and throught the Debian Server,as you see in the link this instructions were for a Regular PC but you can disregard the 2 first pictures and the rest is the same execpt there was an option for the desktop, and on Ubuntu 12.04PPC it was the same set of instructions expect there was no Desktop to chose just like this in link

http://dev-random.net/debian-linux-s...-installation/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12