Thread: tremulous is unplaybale

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

tremulous is unbalanced

a well designed game...

But the aliens are so ridicously fast and deadly, and the humans have to good things for camping.
    Last edited by Cyraxzz; July 23rd, 2006 at 06:07 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: tremulous is unplaybale

its a quick game Cyraxzz, no question. Just have to get used to it. Its in the later stages (when everyone is either a Tyrant or a Heavy Body armour) that it gets a little crazy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi Cyraxzz. You should rephrase the title. A title like that would make anyone think that the game isn't working with your computer, which isn't your problem, your problem is obviously that you just haven't gotten used to the game's pace yet.
    "Some people says that if you run a Microsoft Midori iso backwards you will hear demon voices commanding you to worship Satan". But that's nothing. If you run it forward it will install Microsoft Midori.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I understand that it's a fast-paced game (which I normally don't like in a FPS) but lagging players seemed to really cause problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

I agree except for the part where you called it 'well designed'.

Humans have very good camping tools, If they choose to camp inside their base for first several minutes, you can't stop them. Aliens have lots of problems attacking human bases, they don't get any ranged attack until stage3. Attacking a base as alien always means taking damage and deaths, because human turrets and humans themselves have good ranged weapons. It's no wonder there aren't many serious attacks on human bases. Meanwhile, alien defences have to be deployed very carefully and never in the same place twice, otherwise they become 'press fire to continue'.
    The worst part is that humans usually have nothing to lose if they camp.
    I don't know any other multiplayer games where matches so often end up as 60 minute stalemates, with minor skirmishes (deathmatch) right outside human base.
    Even if humans do some work and sucessfully relocate base early, it changes little. Humans have nothing to lose sitting in a well fortified base.
    I understand Tremulous is NOT Natural Selection, but when there's no incentive to go outside base, no resources to fight over, the gameplay suffers.

Another mark of bad design is that the game promotes spamming certain weapons all over. Worst case is Lucifer cannon and grenades. If friendly fire is off, humans can shoot lucifer/grenades at each other, and since all aliens are melee, it's not a lot of fun fighting humans when you have (literally) no chance to dodge. Alternatively, humans can spam bottlenecks with explosives.
    It's perhaps even worse when friendly fire is on. Combat, especially melee, is so fast and chaotic, that you have to be really careful. It's very easy to teamkill as alien when FF is on, and it sucks. It's much easier for humans to shoot carefully, because you don't have to spin your mouse/view as crazy. It's practically impossible for 2-3 aliens to gang up on a human without some team damage/teamkill happening. Friendly fire 'on' punishes aliens for teamwork, ff off encourages spamming. It's especially bad for basilisks, because their special enables them to hold humans still. I've been teamkilled a lot as basilisk when another alien rushed to 'help me'.

Basilisk, one of alien classes, is so bad that hardly anyone plays it. If you invest a lot of skill into it, you can get fair results, but it can't do anything other aliens can't do better.
    Alien Hovel building is a joke. A hideout for alien worker class, except... who would be stupid enough to sit inside a building when humans have so good ranged weapons, and can smoke your cover in seconds ?
    Alien Barricades are hardly ever used, because 'turrets' cost less.

I'm sad to say this, but wallwalking loses LOTS of its potential because of way the maps are designed. Maps often contain lots of decorations, grates, pipes etc. Even after few months of playing many areas are nightmare for wallwalkers. Result: many people don't try to wallwalk and get away with it just fine.

Building interface is ugly, it requires a lot of clicking, steals focus, and often gets you killed because you're stuck until you click 'ok'.

I probably shouldn't blame developers for this, but the game doesn't have any kick or ban system, really. It doesn't work. When there's a vote to kick you, all you need is to change your name and the system gets confused. It also parses nicknames poorly. Whose idea was it to allow nicknames with spaces inside ? When you try to kick all someidiot, passing such a vote kicks everyone from the server.
    You can't really ban anyone except by ip. If you kick a saboteur, he's right back in seconds. There's no cheat prevention system, either.
    But the point is, it ruins the gameplay, even if developers don't have enough resources to make something similar to punkbuster. But couldn't they make Tremulous a mod of W:ET ? True Combat:Elite is made this way, and it's said to benefit from punkbuster.

End of rant. These are the reasons I stopped playing Tremulous and don't intend to resume anytime soon.