Thread: Thunderbird. Useless for me? Uninstall?

Beans

Question Thunderbird. Useless for me? Uninstall?

I haven't found much documentation for Thunderbird and what little I've found seems to say that all its good for is making my e-mail a little prettier. It seems to have no man or info pages nor a wiki that I've found. Does it do anything my browzer can't do without it or is it dead weight?

Does my Pidgin need it?

Does Ubittorrent use it?

Firefox says it doesn't need it.

My take is its specialized for e-mail for people who need be in touch at all times allowing them to not have the browzer open constantly. I'm no such person.

If there's any reason for me not to uninstall, please let me know. Its asking for a 30+mb. update.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Thunderbird. Useless for me? Uninstall?

This is a quick guide http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/features/ to use thunderbird (perhaps you have just found it).

I have ubuntu 12.04 wich has thunderbird as a default for managing e-mail, but I haven't used it ever, neither configure e-mail accounts in it, since I use evolution.

But I haven't uninstalled it since it could affect to other packages through the dependencies. Why to uninstall?, are you short of disk space?.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

i use it as email client. it can do a lot actually. organize meetings, archive email in a nice fashion, handle newsgroups and rss etc. but in essence it is an email client. if oyu do all your email via browser then you do not need one. you also do not need it if you do not send any emails.

at work we use MS Outlook for htis, at home i use thunderbird. but it is not used as often as i used to use it when studying.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

I just try to keep it streamlined as what I most like about Ubuntu is the ability to remove garbage. You hit it on the head with dependancies tho' as thats my main concern.

Keep thinkin' Ill just go Lucid Puppy and build up rather than tear down sometime. Don't use half of it. Till then I tear down.

Thnx for the reply.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

It is best to go with a minimum install and build up, removing a lot of applications usually causes breakage.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Judging by what is also removed along with thunderbird if I try to do that with synaptic (just lightning extension and the TB locale) it doesn't look as if removal will upset your overall system.

Why not try it for a while; if you see any problems it's a few seconds work to reinstall, and if you don't delete the hidden .thunderbird folder in your home you will still retain any past configuration you set up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Barkester View Post
    I haven't found much documentation for Thunderbird and what little I've found seems to say that all its good for is making my e-mail a little prettier..
    It's an email *client* from the Mozilla Foundation. (What people used before webmail showed up ; and as many still do for lots of reasons.)

Thunderbird has been around for years and a good bit of documentation is available. Here's one place: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/thunderbird.

Like any package, if you don't want it, you can uninstall it. Be sure to inspect the list of other packages that will also be removed.

Beans

Thanx for the replies. Looks like uninstall is no problem. Nothin' against Thunderbird, but just don't use it.

And thank wild man for the tip "minimum install". I'll try it when I break it again. Does make more sense.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    i use it as email client. it can do a lot actually. organize meetings, archive email in a nice fashion, handle newsgroups and rss etc. but in essence it is an email client.
    And certainly on usenet there is a certain amount of scorn for somebody who is not prepared to learn to use a dedicated usenet client...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?