Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell C521

Beans

Question Dell C521

Bought the disc. No instructions. Followed advice from net. Installed ubunto linux. Got choice of os: UBUNTO OR XP. GOT MESSAGE REQUIRES REBOOT. REBOOTED BLANK SCREEN. Tried at least 6 times. no luck. Tried to download desktop ubunto from net. same messages. Checked. found several icons: "ubunto - 13.10 - desktop - amd64 - 904,192kb"
    opened one nothing. Looked around; saw icon "ubunto uninstall". Deleted it. now the message I receive is "can'f find application"
    STUCK! HELP! FINGERPEG
    Sorry about illogicality. I had worked myself into a state of confusion. It's a rather long account of a bumbling attempt at installing Ubunto linux from the disc I bought from the Linux shop.
    I am running XP on a Dell C521 Desktop computer. It has a dvd drive, so I inserted the disc and double clicked the icon in MY COMPUTER. AFTER A WHILE , some instructions appeared which I followed. My memory is confused about the actual sequence of events but I got as far as rebooting and saw the message to choose between opening Ubunto or XP. I chose Ubunto. All I got then was a blank screen. I waited several minutes then rebooted again. This time I was asked to reboot again and when I did, I got the same message of choosing XP or ubunto. Again, I chose Ubunto, but got the same blank screen. After that I check the installed programs and uninstalled Ubunto. Then I tried to download Ubunto from the Ubunto site. Things got more muddled. I checked the desktop and saw an icon "ununto unintstall". I deleted it and since then my efforts got worse. Eventually I tried the disc again and then got the message to the effect that another program was trying to use the application and I should delete that one before trying again. Unfortunately, I cannot find the file:"c:\docume~johnco~]local]tempubi~1310-rea284.log." That message appeared in a box and I did not get enough time to copy it properly. That is why I posted the query. This is long and rambling, but it is not easy to summarise all my attempts. I hope it helps at least a little, especially I would like to know how I could locate that file. Sorry for the length.
    Last edited by JOHN_CONNOLLY; March 25th, 2014 at 06:21 PM. Reason: clarification

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: installing ubunto from disc from linux shop

This makes little sense.

Please read this post http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...11&postcount=1

Then explain logically and concisely what it is you have problems with.

Thanks

Beans

Question Re: installing ubunto from disc from linux shop

I have not posted anything on this site before, and I don't know how to correct my original. I have edited that. I don't know if I have done the right thing, but on reflection I suspect that I should have done the edit part on this reply. Hope you can check the edited version. If you can't, then I think I shall have to give up the idea of relacing XP with Ubunto and scrap the computer after the 8th of April.
    John Connolly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I am running XP on a Dell C521 Desktop computer. It has a dvd drive, so I inserted the disc and double clicked the icon in MY COMPUTER. AFTER A WHILE , some instructions appeared which I followed.
    Just want to clarify something

It seems to me that what you've done is install wubi. Which won't help, so

Get the machine booted into Ubuntu.

Open a terminal - Ctrl+Alt+T

Now copy and paste this command into the terminal and press enter.

Code:
    df -h
    Terminal will then output some stuff

Copy and paste ALL of that into a reply here

Beans

Thanks, elfy. I pressed ctrl+alt+t. Nothing seemed to happen. Tried again nothing

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

My fault - I don''t use gnome ...

Try Super+T

(super is what we refer the window key as)

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Beans

THANKS ibjsb4. Unfortunatley, I don't understand what you are asking me to do. I'm now 83 and not so bright as I once was. You may, though be able to tell mif this: If I reformat the hard disk, would the disk install Ubunto? Sorry for being so much of an ignoramus! JC

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans

Many thanks to you, Ibjsb4,and to Elfy, for trying to solve a problem which was most likely caused by my enthusiasm to get started without checking fully how to install the program. This led to my making errors which led to my making more errors which started the problem in the first place. So THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP, I appreciated it.
    However, I have decided to give up on the task. I am too old and don't need the desktop as I use only a little these days. Thank you, both of you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast