Thread: Screen Goes Grey

Screen Goes Grey

Ubuntu 12.04. Latest (?) Gnome ... Periodically my background screen when using Mozilla Firefox will grow grey, then a little more grey. It does not go black. But during this time my mouse becomes unresponsive. I sometimes even have to reboot by powering off to regain control. Has anyone else had this type of an issue? Sometimes it recovers by itself, sometimes not.

Please pardon me if I am not in the correct forum.

Thanks,
    Southie

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Screen Goes Grey

It usually means the application gets stuck, or all resources of the machine are used. Does it happen with FF only ? What are the specifications of your computer and the release you are using ?
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Thank you bapoumba,

I run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit on a Dell Optiplex 755, Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz × 2 with 2.0Gb Ram.

This issue of the screen greying out occurrs so periodically it is difficult to recall ever seeing it in any application other than Firefox. However, you suggestion that I'm running low on resources makes sense, it does strike me that I tend to see the issue when I have several applications open. I will have to monitor my machine more closely and do a better job of documenting the issue.

I will log this thread as solved for now and come back to it in the future if closing other open apps don't help.

Thanks again,
    Southie

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

One option could be to install a lighter desktop (sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop for ex). Please have a look at lubuntu, there are other lightweight environments, and see if it helps. My own laptop wont run anything else anymore (1GB ram, which is less than yours). I did have the same symptoms, in addition to the fans going up and the disk being heavily accesses, probably due to the swap heavy use.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |