Thread: Botched Trusty beta upgrade

Beans

Botched Trusty beta upgrade

Hi guys,
    I've been running Ubuntu Saucy with GNOME Shell 3.10 from PPA (with GDM) for a while now. Quickly tested Trusty beta in a VM and I liked it, and being used to somewhat easy upgrades, I decided to go ahead and fix any error which comes up.

But this quickly got over my head .

I usually have many PPAs set up so I'm used to having some of them disabled and going around when things break (e.g. after upgrading to GS 3.10 via PPA LightDM stopped working, but a simple dpkg-reconfigure enabled GDM).

This time I really screwed up. GDM wouldn't start up (if installer switched to LightDM, that doesn't either). Had to drop to "Recovery Mode" and fix broken packages. It took a while but it left the system bootable.

So I restart, login, and find all APT sources upgraded to Trusty or disabled (correct). But GNOME Shell is still 3.10 (no 3.11.9x in the repos, PPA is disabled), kernel is 3.11 (no newer packages available either).

Unity seems rather updated (synaptic says it's 7.1.2, I think that's from Trusty), which looks fully functional... save for the clock! (the clock indicator is just not there). Unity 8 shows up in the repo; but if I mark it I see something weird: it depends on lots of stuff which should be installed, like network-indicator (which does show up and works).

So it looks like a botched upgrade left inconsistent packages / versions, but no matter how many times I reload packages info, no new upgrades show up; /etc/apt/sources.list shows main, universe and multiverse enabled and pointing to Trusty, but still apt can't see e.g. kernel 3.11 [1].

Any idea? Perhaps APT has an inconsistent cache or something?

-- nachokb

[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/ke...3.0-18-generic

Beans

Re: Botched Trusty beta upgrade

Well, just reloaded repos information and now I've got a linux-generic 3.11 kernel, which I'm installing now (it also depended on a lot of stuff like newer libc, gcc, etc).

And I just checked [1] to see that GNOME Shell 3.11.x is not in the main repos, sorry for that (will have to try the PPA). Still there seems to be some inconsistent packages, I'll try to keep you posted.

-- nachokb

[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/gnome/gnome-shell

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Trusty gnome-shell is at version 3.10.4, and at this late time in the development cycle we won't see anything newer.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nachokb2 View Post
    Unity seems rather updated (synaptic says it's 7.1.2, I think that's from Trusty), which looks fully functional... save for the clock! (the clock indicator is just not there). Unity 8 shows up in the repo; but if I mark it I see something weird: it depends on lots of stuff which should be installed, like network-indicator (which does show up and works).

So it looks like a botched upgrade left inconsistent packages / versions, but no matter how many times I reload packages info, no new upgrades show up; /etc/apt/sources.list shows main, universe and multiverse enabled and pointing to Trusty, but still apt can't see e.g. kernel 3.11 [1].

Any idea? Perhaps APT has an inconsistent cache or something?

-- nachokb

[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/ke...3.0-18-generic
    indicator-network is a new indicator from Unity 8 (see its dependencies) the one that you see normally in Unity 7 comes from network-manager-gnome checkout the screenshot. If you don't believe me than look at this questions on Ask Ubuntu: How can I restore Network Indicator in Unity Panel? and Network manager indicator missing.

The newest kernel available in Trusty is 3.13.0-19 and I had it in updates yesterday.

Beans
    Distro

In my experience there is one period when it is reasonably safe to upgrade from the last version of Ubuntu to the development branch of the next version of Ubuntu (which is what we still have). And that is during the first 8 to 10 weeks of the development cycle when the code base is still very much the code base of the last release.

The further into the development cycle we go the greater the risk, in my opinion. We should either install a daily image or wait until the development cycle is compete or almost complete and the upgrade path has been carefully scripted.

I also see greater risk in upgrading Ubuntu + alternative desktop environments or user interfaces then upgrading the genuine Ubuntu flavour. In this case Ubuntu Gnome.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Trusty gnome-shell is at version 3.10.4, and at this late time in the development cycle we won't see anything newer.
    You're right, the I had read about 3.12 in Trusty, but I must have overseen that it was from PPA .

Thanks.

P.S. Now running from PPA. It works nice (though the poor extensions API and its versioning is still frustrating).

nachokb

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mateusz Stachowski View Post
    indicator-network is a new indicator from Unity 8 (see its dependencies) the one that you see normally in Unity 7 comes from network-manager-gnome checkout the screenshot. If you don't believe me than look at this questions on Ask Ubuntu: How can I restore Network Indicator in Unity Panel? and Network manager indicator missing.

The newest kernel available in Trusty is 3.13.0-19 and I had it in updates yesterday.
    You're correct, too. I just got confused.

Didn't install unity8 to test it though, not yet at least.

nachokb

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    In my experience there is one period when it is reasonably safe to upgrade from the last version of Ubuntu to the development branch of the next version of Ubuntu (which is what we still have). And that is during the first 8 to 10 weeks of the development cycle when the code base is still very much the code base of the last release.

The further into the development cycle we go the greater the risk, in my opinion. We should either install a daily image or wait until the development cycle is compete or almost complete and the upgrade path has been carefully scripted.

I also see greater risk in upgrading Ubuntu + alternative desktop environments or user interfaces then upgrading the genuine Ubuntu flavour. In this case Ubuntu Gnome.

Regards.
    Yep, I agree this is risky. But then again, that is not my main work computer so I use it to experiment a little.

That being said, this is the third Ubuntu version in a row that I upgrade to ~4 weeks before release (perhaps it's time to start fresh!), and the previous two it went without a hitch (even with me having many PPAs like GNOME's, etc).

What confused me the most was (1) that it left the machine basically unbootable and (2) that it didn't show the upgraded kernel (which I used as a reference). I think both were caused by some strange caching or some confusion on the part of APT, as it later did pick the newer kernel up.

Running great now. Still licking my wounds, though, and I've got a lot of (beta) stuff to test.

Thanks!

nachokb