Thread: Python - Caeser Cipher encryption function not working with string bigger than 1

Beans

Python - Caeser Cipher encryption function not working with string bigger than 1

Hello good people,

I have recently started to learn python and I am having trouble with a function. I am working on an encryption program that takes a key of a lower case letter and a message that is a string of lower case letters. Using this, I would add the key to each letter of the string. (which I have a bit of trouble doing).

Here is a pastebin of what I have for my encryption function (which is the last function listed)

HTML Code:
    http://pastebin.com/VzbSA35u
    All of my other functions work fine except for the encryption.

Please excuse my English as it is not my first language. I am also a beginner so please explain as much as possible. Many thanks in advance for any help/advice.

- Yozuru

This has been RESOLVED.
    Last edited by Yozuru; March 22nd, 2014 at 10:03 PM. Reason: added details

Beans

Re: Python - Caeser Cipher encryption function not working with string bigger than 1

A couple of things stand out:
    Code:
        m = str
    Not sure what you meant here, but I'm pretty sure this wasn't it.
    Code:
        cipherText = addchr(keyValue, m)
    If you delete "m = str", this will encrypt the first character of the string m and put the result in cipherText. How are you going to get to the other characters of the plaintext?
    Code:
        for i in cipherText:
            return cipherText
    You can only return from a function once, so a simple return in a loop is not meaningful. Nevertheless, cipherText only ever has one character in it, so the loop could never execute a second time anyway.

Beans

Re: Python - Caeser Cipher encryption function not working with string bigger than 1

Many thanks for the suggestions to work on. Using: cipherText = addchr(keyValue, m). I wanted to add the key with whatever string was input. for example:

encr('a', 'abc')

It would return back to abc since key 'a' = 0.

Is there a way for me to do it this way since I am at a lost.

Beans

Here's a fairly pythonic way of doing it, I think

Code:
    def encr(key, m):
        return ''.join([addchr(c,key) for c in m])

Beans

I'd lose the [ ] -- they just cause the characters to be collected in a list first, which has no advantage. str.join takes any iterable, so a plain generator is more Pythonic than a list comprehension.

Here's another solution, even less Pythonic but perhaps more readily understood:
    Code:
    def encr(key, m):
        result = ''
        for ch in m:
            result += addchr(ch, key)
        return result

Beans

Many thanks to the both of you! I am still learning .join so I am not so familiar with it yet. I'll already readjusted my function code with your suggestions and it works wonderful.

You're example solution is really easily understood Trent, and you're a sweetheart for sticking through with me on this. I shall mark this as resolved.

- Yozuru