Thread: install GRUB2 on MAC

Beans

install GRUB2 on MAC

Hello
    I try to install ubuntu on my MAC book pro. I have a Mac book 9,2 (mid 2012) and try to install ubuntu 12.04.4

I installed reflt and created a 50 GO partition formated in hsf+

I passed successfully the stage of burning the MAC version "ubuntu-12.04.4-desktop-amd64+mac.iso" to a DVD and getting the installation menu. I succeded in getting the menu to format my 50GO with ext4 where I am going to install Ubuntu

But a pop-up appear saying

The partition table format in use on your disks normally requires you to create a separate partition for boot loader code. This partition should be marked for use as a "reserved BIOS boot area" and should be at least 1MB.
    If you do not go back to the partitioning menu and correct this error, boot loader installation may fail later, although it may still be possible to install the boot loader to a partition

If I well understood, I need to install a boot loader like GRUB2

I have several questions:

1) visibly reflt is a menu to switch on a OS choice. Should I use it plus the installation of GRUB2 ? What is the link between them ?

2) Is it dangerous to install GRUB2 on MAC OS X ? is there any risk ?

3) from what I read, you haven't to choose a partition when you install GRUB2. Is it possible to choose the partition for installing it ? If so, on which partition should I install it ? The one where OS X is or the one where ubuntu is going to be install ? a priori, I would say on the ubuntu partition (see the message above) !! So how to do it ?

4) I found GRB2 documentation on this link http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/man...-Building-GRUB
    When I download by the link ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/grub/grub-2.00.tar.gz , and I try to configure (./configure), the program stops with the following log

Code:
    MacBook-Pro-de-xflamant:grub-2.00 xflamant$ ./configure
    checking build system type... i386-apple-darwin12.5.0
    checking host system type... i386-apple-darwin12.5.0
    checking target system type... i386-apple-darwin12.5.0
    checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
    checking whether build environment is sane... yes
    checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... build-aux/install-sh -c -d
    checking for gawk... no
    checking for mawk... no
    checking for nawk... no
    checking for awk... awk
    checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
    checking for cmp... cmp
    checking for bison... no
    configure: error: bison is not found
    4-a) first remark: it seems that the version GRUB2 is for i386 architecture. Do you know if there is a amd64 release ? If so, do you know the link ?
    4-b) When I try afterwards > make install, the system tels "make: command not found". I didn't suceed in going furthet

Thanks in advance for your answers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: install GRUB2 on MAC

What you can try to do is leave the 50GB partition unformatted as free space.

Then you can choose the option "Install ubuntu side by side with Mac OSX". The installer will select the free space (but double check that it is the correct partition anyway).

This way the installer will take care of swap and bios boot partition for you.

That is how I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my iMac as a dual boot option.

Beans

Re: install GRUB2 on MAC

I have a MacBook Pro 9,1 (Mid 2012). I have installed Xubuntu 14.04 on it (I have tried Ubuntu 14.04 as well). I used the OS X Boot to recovery system to resize the OS X Lion partition to half of the 500gb disk space and left the other half blank. I then installed rEFInd on the OS X partition.

I put the Xubuntu 14.04 image on a usb stick and booted it using rEFInd. I selected “something Else” as the install choice and set up the free space with 10gb for the “/” partition 16gb for the swap space as I have 16gb RAM, probably overkill, and the remainder as “Home.”

I also selected the Xubuntu partition as the location for the GRUB installation location. REFInd provides the boot choices for you now and you can choose Linux or OS X at boot time. Everything is working fine on my machine. I do use a script called “control” in a cron job as described on this web page ( http://unencumberedbyfacts.com/2013/...cbook-pro-101/ ) to control the fans and have better control of the heat.

Hopefully, this will be of some help to you.

Andy