Thread: How do I create shortcut on desktop to NAS Share?

Beans

How do I create shortcut on desktop to NAS Share?

Hi, New to forum and Ubuntu, but not new to PC's having started out using DOS a long time ago.

I have installed Ubuntu (the latetest stable version) on an old laptop for the sole purpose of allowing me to access files on my NAS drive. I can see the NAS drive and its shares using the home folder. I need to be able to drag and drop files from one share (or folder in a share) to another share or folder share. The way I have been doing this in WIndows XP is by mapping the NAS drive and creating desktop shortcuts of the folders I want to work with and then simply drag and drop files from one to the other. I am unable to find how to do this (or a similar) on Ubuntu. I get an error when I try to create a link to the NAS shares, telling me I can't create dynamic links to a NAS share. The NAS (a Netgear ReadyNAS) uses Linux so I am not sure why this would be. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to do this, without having to learn backdoor access to Ubuntu? I would like to do this simply by using the GUI. I assume this is possible and it just me being stupid. TIA.

Bill.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: How do I create shortcut on desktop to NAS Share?

1st set the share to automount on your system, i have used gigolo to set that
    then just create shorcuts to the folders on the nas, or you can make regular folders and use mount --bind to link them
    you can make shortcuts like this
    Code:
    ln -s /path/to/nas/folderOrFile ~/Desktop/shortcutName
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; March 21st, 2014 at 10:15 PM. Reason: fixed code
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    1st set the share to automount on your system, i have used gigolo to set that
    then just create shorcuts to the folders on the nas, or you can make regular folders and use mount --bind to link them
    you can make shortcuts like this
    Code:
    ln -s ~/Desktop/shortcutName /path/to/nas/folderOrFile
    I've been trying the ln command myself on a local file and have found that the "to" file seems to be needed first, then the target. So, if you are trying to link TO /path/to/nas/folderOrFile as you show, wouldn't it be:
    Code:
    ln -s /path/to/nas/folderOrFile ~/Desktop/shortcutName
    I am FAR from knowing all of this - I was just testing as I have a need for the same thing, and found I had to flip the parameters as per the help for ln.

If I have that wrong, PLEASE post a correction and I'll remove my post as I don't want to cause any confusion!

Dave
    Last edited by squakie; March 21st, 2014 at 09:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

opps, you are right squaki, when ln did not give me a error i assumed i had it right
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Thanks for the reply guys, I have installed Gigolo and will give it a try. I am still not sure where I type in the code, but will keep searching.

Bill.
    Last edited by bill34; March 22nd, 2014 at 11:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Hi bill, take a look at this link, I hope it helps. Commands, you type in the terminal. It might feel a bit "geeky" in the beginning to use the terminal, but it is not that difficult, and you will find out that the terminal usually gives you very specific and usefull feedback once you get used to it. However, most things in Ubuntu, you can do in GUI.
    Last edited by Jacobonbuntu; March 22nd, 2014 at 11:31 AM.