Thread: Google talk plugin for Linux Mint 14

Beans

Google talk plugin for Linux Mint 14

How do I get Google talk plugin for Linux Mint 14. Firefox 27.0

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Google talk plugin for Linux Mint 14

you mean the plugin used for calling phones from gmail's web interface?
    there will be a link when you try to use the feature
    if you are using 64bit select the 64bit ubuntu version if 32bit select the 32bit ubuntu version
    no plugin is required for using the chat feature, if you need a IM client use pidgen or which ever client you prefer
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Moved to Other OS/Distro Support
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Catch me on Freenode - imark

Beans

Log in to gmail, go down the side panel and click the dimmed out camera thing and it will take you to the download page. choose 32 or 64 bit Debian/Ubuntu packages. Download it and right click to install.

Beans

Do you mean the video camera? It takes me to Start Video Call. http://www.google.com/tools/dlpage/h...xsLG51bGwsW11d

"Install the Hangouts Plugin to get started."

"You’ll enter the video call as soon as the plugin is installed"

Is that what you are talking about?

I just want to make a phone call, not a video phone call.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It is the same plug-in for both. If you just want to make a phone call, then just click the phone icon.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

What do I need so that I can talk and listen using my laptop? I can enter a number with my laptop and select "Phone to call with - Home" My home phone rings - I pick it up - the number is dialing - someone answers we talk via my telephone. There is no Google Talk number for my town. I selected a Google Talk number for the nearest town (long distance) When I select "Phone to call - with - Google Talk" I click on Connect. Nothing happens. Do need to have a cell phone? What do I need to have so I can call and listen via my laptop? My local service is AT&T. Long distance is another provider that I have to dial in a 5 digit number before dialing an area code. Is that the problem?

A guest was here at my house in Texas. He used Google Talk with his Mac laptop. His home phone is in Texas. His Google Talk number is in Las Angelas. He is able to talk and listen via his Mac laptop.

Beans

Talk (Voice) works now. I can dial, talk, listen via my laptop since I installed Google Chrome. I installed Chrome on a spare HDD that has Linux Mint 14 on it. Will install Chrome on my main HDD if I do not run into problems. Any thing I should be aware of running Chrome? Chrome is not the default browser. Can it collect data from my laptop or do anything else when it is not activated?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Since Chrome is a Google product, I would presume that anything you do on it would be watched and collected by Google. Google's corporate phrase is "Don't be evil." But, what is evil depends on who is defining it.

I'm not aware of any malicious activity when Chrome is not running, but then again, any web activity can be a vector for privacy invasion. There are not as many plug-in's for Chrome as for Firefox, so that may be an issue.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.